Is this a right or left hand retrieve fly reel

Rate this topic

chunk

As you can see I'm pretty dumb when it comes to fly fishing. If I was holding this reel, a Fin Nor #2 like showed in the picture I could reel the same direction as I would a spinning reel. Is this correct or wrong for the fly reel? Wouldthe reel go on my fly rod this way or is it backwards?

New Jersey King Crab

Chunk, It could be either or.

The basic test is strip off a couple of feet of line and tighten the drag knob to almost full tight.

Now take the line and see if the reel gives you resistance (drag) when you strip more line off the reel . The line should be coming off the bottom of the reel, forward of the middle bottom brace.

What side is the reel handle when you look at it from abover when it is attached tothe rod?

If the handles are on the right side and the reel offers resistance when line is pulled off it is set up as a righ hand retrieve rod.

If the handles are on the left side and the resistance is there as you pull line off the reel the reel is set up for Lefh hand retrieve.

Did you get any instructions with the reel when your bought it?

99% of all fly reels can be converted from left to right hand retrieve and back again. Some a re easy and some are not. I'm not familar with the Fin-Nor set up.

I would take it to a shop that sells Fin-Nor's and have them walk you thru the process, if the instructions seem difficult.

View PostSweet I think I'm going to be using my left hand to retrieve so I don't have to change it.

Don't let it worry you. I am right handed but crank on my spin and fly reels with my left hand. Quite normal, although there are those who swear against it.

Spig

View PostOn my Fin-Nor number 2, I can switch from left to right as I please - I keep it on right since that's what I reel with.

Canyondiver, are you sure you're not thinking of the anti-reverse version?

I am thinking of the A/R version, which this reel seems to be. See the two cranks instead of one + a counterweight?

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!