mold making (for lead)

Rate this topic

Rowdy

View Postwhat temperature does the mold material need to handle when pouring lead?

i have found a material that can withstand heat up to 650 degrees.

is this enough?

Yup, Wikipedia says melting point is (327.46 °C, 621.43 °F), so that'll do it....watcha melting? jigs or sinkers, bet it's jigs...don't forget to leave room to handle hot!

tuna season is upon us the time calls for jigs and i aint spending 18 to 20$ each.. lol got some proto's i'm working on also got a bunch of copy's i'm doing.. gonna try out that durhams water putty too since i got a bunch of it laying around.. the stuff i was referring to in the first post is mold-n-pour..

any advice would be much appreciated

I've poured a bunch of jigs up to 6 oz and the easiest stuff to work with if you are looking to pour a dozen or two would be bondo. Durhams water putty make a nice mold but is expensive and take a loooong time to dry out all the way. If you pour into a mold made from water putty that is not dried all the way it will ruin it in one shot not to mention may splatter hot lead everywhere. RTV makes a nice mold but again is expensive, not the easiest thing to work with and if you are pouring tuna sized jigs you will need to build in some sort of support in the mold as it will tend to distort the mold when you pour. Or use alot of RTV. I have gotten a dozen large jigs or so out of one bondo mold. Also you can make and use a bondo mold the same day.

View PostI've poured a bunch of jigs up to 6 oz and the easiest stuff to work with if you are looking to pour a dozen or two would be bondo. Durhams water putty make a nice mold but is expensive and take a loooong time to dry out all the way. If you pour into a mold made from water putty that is not dried all the way it will ruin it in one shot not to mention may splatter hot lead everywhere. RTV makes a nice mold but again is expensive, not the easiest thing to work with and if you are pouring tuna sized jigs you will need to build in some sort of support in the mold as it will tend to distort the mold when you pour. Or use alot of RTV. I have gotten a dozen large jigs or so out of one bondo mold. Also you can make and use a bondo mold the same day.

One thing you can do is make a "Mother Mold" of a Bondo mold, out of silicone. Then you can make duplicate Bondo molds, to your hearts content.

PM if anyone has any questions.

Here is some molds I made for a project from a mother mold. Just mix and pour the Bondo!

DSCF0003-1.jpg

Mike P (Husky)
Hammer Mechanic, 1st class

• 7 months later...