Turning a Ranch style house into a Cape Cod style (sort of)... Our latest job

Rate this topic

Ben Lippen

Nice job Ben and Nitro,

I loved those type projects when I was in the Biz. Great challenges and everyday is different. You guys are obviously proud of what you do. That's great! clapping.gif Can't wait to see what it looks like when the double 5 goes up. bigeyes.gif

"All people have the right to stupidity but some abuse the privilege" wink.gif

Yesterday I got the frame built and sheathed for the master bath whirlpool tub and got solid blocking installed along the first floor exterior wall below the porch. And Nitro and his brother Jeff got the living space ceiling above the porch insulated, then they got the whole thing covered with plywood. This morning I set up shop on the back deck and began making rips of Azek sheets we had delivered. Then I made a rabbett on one edge, so we could wrap that big arsed girder above the front porch...

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

411.jpg

421.jpg

Oh yeah, as you can see, we added a "header" to the end of the porch ceiling to return the big one back to the wall. Looks much better than having a big old ugly butt end hanging out there smile.gif

Plus, it creates a bit of a closed ceiling for the porch icon14.gif

Gonna side right on over the outside of it, right to the porkchop, and on up.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start on building out the posts to make 'em look bigger and better. The double post at the end will become one, and the other two will get wider as well. The one by the steps is gonna get wide enough to let the stair rail run into it, and the center one will get prolly the same width. They will all be probably 1/2" - 3/4" wider on the bottom, about 40" high or so. High enough for the railings to run thru without hitting the bottom and mid section trim.

Similar to this one...

Picture_145_Small_.jpg

View PostOK, so the upside down Tyvek thing, that was just to drive people like me Crazykooky.gif

It's not just you. HappyWave.gif

The yard spray painted my name on one of the paralamb headers used when we built. It's in my daughters room, set upside down, and I can't walk into the room without remembering that. cwm27.gif

It gets better. We did a gut renovation/roof raise/addition, and my neighbor across the street, well, his grandfather built all of the original homes back in the 40's and 50's, including mine, so I found his last name on many of the windows and door james that I ripped out, but also on the stairs. We reused them for the attic, and my wife made me spray paint over the name before we closed up the walls. She was adament about it. mad.gif <-----wife

#otterlivesmatter

cwm27.gif I thought only my best bud Mike was that crazy cwm27.gif

He's nuts like that with tyvek, even the insulation batts he puts in hafta be rightside up and the writing hasta line up all around the room kooky.gif

Every job we do, we always joke and laugh about running the tyvek the wrong way. Dont bother us none. Does the same job either way smile.gif

Okay, started wrapping the posts today smile.gif A change we made when building the deck (raising it to be level with the interior floor as opposed to a step up that nobody really wanted, but the architect drew) has caused us to add a step to the front. Which in turn has caused the need for a stair railing. Which would have required me to make the post bases nearly 14" wide. Way bigger than the 10" spec'd by the architect. We didnt think that would look very good, but fortunately, I made a decision weeks ago to make the deck one board ( 6") wider. And that will allow us to place a structural rail post on top of the deck, in front of the support post, to attach the stair rail to. Along with one that will be attached to the slab that the stairs will sit on.

Anyway, you'll see as we go smile.gif

Packed out the sides of the two single posts about 2 1/2", and the front and back about 1 1/4" each. For a finished size of 10" x 7" on the bottoms.

431.jpg

441.jpg

Packed out the outsides of that end doubler 2 1/2", and the same treatment front and back as the others, to make the finished bottom 16 1/2" x 7".

451.jpg

47.jpg

481.jpg

Now, before anyone asks why my pack-out numbers are light of what the inside dimensions of 1/2" material is, if ya just look at the top of this post and see how it's twisted since I installed it three weeks ago, you'll understand how I need the extra 1/8" or so so I can square up the finished product with the deck.

Also, when we ordered the sheets of Azek, we wanted one 10' x 4' sheet to better cover the length of some of the rips for the girder. Welll it turned out that they didnt have 1/2" in stock, only a 3/4" sheet. So in favor of just keeping on, we took that.

So that, plus the twisting, untrue posts, is why I didnt mitrefold the posts. I need a much stronger joint that will withstand movement. So I rabbett and glue and nail it all smile.gif

The saga continues.... wink.gif

Today, while Nitro and Jeff (BTW, some of you may remember him as Jeff the Chef from when he was cooking for us at the Food Fling of '07. He had hair on his head then wink.gif ) started putting the vinyl railings up, I took some of the leftover 3/4" sheet stock Azek and began manufacturing some cap material for the posts. Figured out my sizes and ripped it down, then ran it thru the router table with an Ogee bit in it. Cut and fit my pieces for all the posts, then glued and clamped together half the pieces, and let them set up so after lunch I had to only fit the two pieces together around the posts to make the whole cap, and glue them up. They arent nailed together, or even attached to anything yet. Tomorrow, after I build the stairs, hopefully I'll have time to manufacture some kinda cove trim for under the caps, and then I'll attach all that. Then next week I'll be able to wrap the top halfs of the posts.

53.jpg

54.jpg

51.jpg

You can see by the picture above that this will indeed split back into two posts above the cap. It's gonna look sharp smile.gif

50.jpg

521.jpg

491.jpg

Of course, I'll be making some base trim and top trim for the posts as well smile.gif

Thanks to all for the very nice compliments.

The front steps get their own post, cause that's about all we accomplished today redface.gif

Hey it's Friday and hot and humid and blah, blah,blah wink.gif

Anyway, this time we opted for a nice closed stringer, so we could wrap it all in Azek. Below the deck will get a square grey lattice, covered by a white Azek skirt board.

551.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

The funny looking little triangles and such are just temp. blocks to hold up the final ripped deck board til we get the lattice and install that and the skirt smile.gif