Jump to content


Photo

Danger of fumes when melting lead


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HL

HL

    1,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Joined: Aug-24 2001

Posted September 29 2003 - 06:30 PM

The latest (Oct 2003)issue of "Seaworthy" - a Boat U.S. magazine printed a letter from a reader that stated that heating lead to molding temps (jig heads) is extreamly hazardous, even outdoors. Inhalation of even small amounts of lead vapor can cause significant toxic reactions (children & pregnant women). He goes on to say that professionals recommend that "intense ventilation" be used, which means a high-volume blower, as well as a respirator and skin and eye protection, even when outdoods.

#2 Stoker1

Stoker1

    1,000 Post Club!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Joined: Aug-16 2002

Posted September 29 2003 - 06:39 PM

Check to see if there is a respirator specifically for lead fumes.
If all the fish you dreamed of came into your creel by wishing, why think of all the joy you would miss then, there'd be no more fun in fishing.

#3 Sudsy

Sudsy

    Way too many!

  • Site-Wide Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,643 posts
  • Joined: Dec-09 2001
  • LocationOn the Hook

Posted September 29 2003 - 07:04 PM

I guess that explains the condition of my memory And all this time I thought it was due to those high school years.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

 

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.


#4 Sudsy

Sudsy

    Way too many!

  • Site-Wide Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,643 posts
  • Joined: Dec-09 2001
  • LocationOn the Hook

Posted September 29 2003 - 07:05 PM

I guess that explains the condition of my memory And all this time I thought it was due to those high school years.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

 

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.


#5 Mullet Miller

Mullet Miller

    1,000 Post Club!

  • Moderators
  • 4,602 posts
  • Joined: Nov-25 2000

Posted September 29 2003 - 07:44 PM

I guess that goes to show you about Sudsy's memory!

#6 acrylic painter

acrylic painter

    Elite Member

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Joined: Feb-21 2001
  • LocationBellevue, WA

Posted September 29 2003 - 08:49 PM


Quote:







Originally posted by HL:
The latest (Oct 2003)issue of "Seaworthy" - a Boat U.S. magazine printed a letter from a reader that stated that heating lead to molding temps (jig heads) is extreamly hazardous, even outdoors. Inhalation of even small amounts of lead vapor can cause significant toxic reactions (children & pregnant women). He goes on to say that professionals recommend that "intense ventilation" be used, which means a high-volume blower, as well as a respirator and skin and eye protection, even when outdoods.


My father was a typesetter for over thirty years and regularly melted down lead pieces from linotype produced articles. When he finally got his own shop, it was a daily occurrence and frequently I was the one pouring the molten lead into the "pigs" which would then be suspended over a melting pot on the linotype machine itself. Neither of us (nor to the best of my knowledge, none of his co-workers) ever suffered from lead poisoning, nor any other maladies from "inhaling lead fumes". Sounds like typical over-reaction to a possible hazard.

#7 Drew C.

Drew C.

    Way too many!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,202 posts
  • Joined: Jan-20 2003

Posted September 29 2003 - 10:16 PM


Quote:







Originally posted by acrylic painter:
Sounds like typical over-reaction to a possible hazard. [/QB]


Consider yourself lucky. The dangers of lead exposure are well known, not a product of over reaction. Ingesting lead (paint chips) is very bad, inhaling the crap is much worse - gets it straight into the blood stream. If you are going to melt lead do it outside if possible or be in a well ventilated area. Don't mess around with that stuff.

#8 Sudsy

Sudsy

    Way too many!

  • Site-Wide Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,643 posts
  • Joined: Dec-09 2001
  • LocationOn the Hook

Posted September 30 2003 - 12:03 AM

I guess that explains the condition of my memory And all this time I thought it was due to those high school years.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

 

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.


#9 Zim

Zim

    5,000 Post Club!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,669 posts
  • Joined: Sep-02 2003

Posted September 30 2003 - 05:29 AM

A lot of the old timers from tackle shops and from the tackle business poured industrial sized molds with hundreds of sinkers at a time. They did this with little or no ventilation and no protective masks or respirators. Most of em' lived to be Pretty old guys and some of em' are still around. Did you know your not supposed to eat bass either?
"Don't believe everything quoted on the internet, some of it is made up" ~ Abraham Lincoln

#10 Stoker1

Stoker1

    1,000 Post Club!

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Joined: Aug-16 2002

Posted September 30 2003 - 05:34 AM

Exposure to lead is most acute to infants and children as it can cause neurological problems during development.
If all the fish you dreamed of came into your creel by wishing, why think of all the joy you would miss then, there'd be no more fun in fishing.

#11 l.i.fish.in.vt

l.i.fish.in.vt

    1,000 Post Club!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Joined: Oct-14 2001

Posted September 30 2003 - 06:08 AM

i was under the impreesion that lead doesn't vaporize at the tempertures that we use to melt lead in jig making.even still don't take chances.there is not too muck in this world that isn't dangerous to are health.

#12 Drew C.

Drew C.

    Way too many!

  • BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,202 posts
  • Joined: Jan-20 2003

Posted September 30 2003 - 06:20 AM

The other problem is that the lead we use is 'dirty'. There is other crap in there. Wheel weights are the worst.

#13 LIStriper

LIStriper

    Elite Member

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Joined: Dec-15 1999

Posted September 30 2003 - 07:41 AM

Guys,

It is agreed that lead when it enters you body is universally bad. However, melting lead should not create lead fumes. Lead melts at 621 degrees Fahrenheit and boils at 3182 degrees Fahrenheit. There is no reason to ever heat lead up to the boiling point to pour sinkers.

Your most likely route of entry will be through ingestion (swallowing) or inhalation of inorganic lead particles or through transdermal (through your skin) absorption of organic alkyl lead.

Your respiratory tract provides the most effective route of absorption because it only depends on the size of lead particles and the metabolic activity of the body. Airborne lead particles that are less than 0.5-1 microns in diameter generally are completely absorbed. Gastrointestinal absorption of lead is less effective and depends on a number of factors, eg, the presence of food in the stomach, the concentration of lead ingested and your general nutritional health


What dose this mean?

It means that you are most likely to put lead into your body when to have some lead dust on your hands and put it in your mouth (eating, smoking, chapstick, nose picking, etc.). Remember lead dust is lead and does not enjoy being airborne.

There are respirators that can protect you if worn correctly. However, wearing a respirator has risks associated with the increased burden it places on your cardio vascular system. The best protection is to not be exposed at all. Ventilation is primary, and should always be employed.

These filters are called HEPA and are effective against metal fumes and particulates down to 0.3 microns.

IMO the most important thing to understand is that you can take every precaution to protect your self, but still bring the lead dust into your home. Dust that is on your clothing or skin can be transmitted to children, spouses and pets that never came close to the pouring.

Just remember that good housekeeping, personal hygiene and common sense in most cases will keep you and your family safe if you choose to pour lead.
LIStriper|00000027

"vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"

#14 big country

big country

    Way too many!

  • Moderators
  • 14,341 posts
  • Joined: Dec-27 2000

Posted September 30 2003 - 08:35 AM

Fred,

I have completely changed my opinion of you. that was well written, articulate, and down right intellegent. you are a smarty pants.

nice post..

BC
"The kids they dance and shake thier bones and the politicians throwing stones. singing ashes, ashes all fall down"

#15 LIStriper

LIStriper

    Elite Member

  • Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • Joined: Dec-15 1999

Posted September 30 2003 - 10:35 AM

Drat!

My cover is blown.

From here I guess the only place to go is to don a mullet and lay low.
LIStriper|00000027

"vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"