Cabela's European Predator rods???

Rate this topic

1dozenraw

I saw a guy at the b-way using the 2 1/2lb spinning model. Interesting. Anyone own one? Thoughts? Anyone own the casting version? Cabela only lists the casting model in the lighter model. How many guides on each? What will they throw? Any input appreciated. I did a search here and there are some older threads with info. Thanks SOL.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.

I picked one up over the winter - the heavier rated rod. I like it alot - though the reel seat is a cheap POS.

I've fished it with bombers and some smaller plugs and lures. I took my first keeper of the season and have since caught bass to 34" on it. I like the way it tosses bombers and tins - I can load the rod up easily and the bomber flies when I hit it just right. It tosses smaller Kastmasters and Yo-zuri Mag minnows very well indeed.

Fighting fish is also a ball on it and it has pretty decent backbone. Though I wouldn't want to be trying to horse big bass away from boulders with it it seems very well suited for smaller lures and baits and beach fishing where good distance casting is required. I've seen guys using them to fish blood worms with light sinkers on the bottom as well but I ave not done so.

All in all it's light as a feather and is a real blast to fish with as far as I'm concerned....it's inexpensive as well. heart.gif

Capio pisces, ergo sum.

Fished with a group of guys on the vineyard at east beach that were all using these and loving them. Threw 1-1/2oz roberts very well. I have an Abu Garcia Boron/graphite predator rod that I bought for short money and it is a very cool rod. 11', light as a feather, awesome cork grip, plenty of backbone, fairly fast action, can throw over 2oz. As mentioned, throws bombers and small plugs very well and a lot of fun to fish with.

Got the lighter version in both casting and spinning styles.

The spinning version is paired with a penn 4500ss or an Okuma Inspira and I switch between an Abu 5500 and a modded Daiwa Procast for the casting version.

So far this season, I haven't used anything but my Predators.

I like them because of their ability to cast little weights far, and their ability to dampen headshakes... once I get the hooks into a fish, it can fuss all it wants.

Off the top of my head, I think the casting model has 9 or 10 guides, spinning, 8 or 9?

I'll have a solid answer when I get home later on.

I have the 11' rating is '2 1/4 test curve' whatever that means.Got this rod to throw lures with because seeing a lot of them used where I fish the Ohio river

and am happy with it.I would rate the rod at about 1-4 oz.Would not be a good rod for bait.Have seen others lifting 5-6 lb fish over a 4' railing with this same rod so it is not easy to break but do not try this with my rod.

Jake

View Postsorry - my 2 1/4# test curve spinning version has 9 guides and a tip top. The collector guide is rather small - only about 20mm - but it still throws very well. I can only imagine what it could do with bigger guides.

Curious, because of the smaller collector guide, have you tried using it as a conventional? I'm thinking about using it as both a spinning and conventional rod but haven't had time to use it to try it out yet.

View PostCurious, because of the smaller collector guide, have you tried using it as a conventional? I'm thinking about using it as both a spinning and conventional rod but haven't had time to use it to try it out yet.

That was what I was wondering. Cabelas only offers the lighter version as a conventional and the heavy spinner that I saw had a bunch of guides and they were fairly small so i wondered if the rod could go both ways. I'm hoping someone owns both spinner and conv and will have some feedback.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.

9 guides is right & yes the reel seat is a POS and what do you expect for $59 ? Really guys.

I have been using both the light & heavier ones for over 3 years in the surf almost exclusively and love them. The heavier can throw up to 2.75oz a long way & as long as you don't horse the fish in, big fish are not a problem. Granted they are too light for big surf - Montauk- etc. but for fishing LI sound they are perfect. You do need a little room & would not recommend them for jetties etc. I use the light one in the spring (now) for throwing lighter lures & rigged sluggos which are specially effective with sand eels hatches.

Two other guys I fish with wound up buiyng the larger one last year based on my always outcasting them vs. their higher end rods & reels. They are super light & I have mine teamed with nautils (black) with 30# braid to a fluoro leader. Once you get the proper sequence for casting (check HPD's post on avoiding wind knots - thanks HPD) it's a dynamite set up.

They are the best bang for the buck out there IF the fishing conditions you fish are similar to mine.

In fact I used the light one this AM, caught 3 stripers - one about 7 lbs. and 1 blue & had a few misses on top. Had to quit early due to thunderstorms rumnling in.

Tight lines - Manny

I can regularly cast 1-1.5oz tins from goalpost to goalpost with spinning gear (braid) and same with 1.25-2oz tins for conventional (braid & 10# mono).

If I want to travel with one rod, I'm grabbing the conventional setup.

Never got around to counting the guides on them last night, wwwwwwoops.

View PostCurious, because of the smaller collector guide, have you tried using it as a conventional? I'm thinking about using it as both a spinning and conventional rod but haven't had time to use it to try it out yet.

I have not tried it with a conventional reel - but I do believe that I've read on these forums in the past that others have used the spinning version for conventional reels.

Capio pisces, ergo sum.