St. George Island Fishing Report

Rate this topic

Redfish

Data collected from 5/1 to 5/6

West Pass - Reds on cut mullet inside the cut just behind the chop, 20-30 ft. Strong stingray and Black Tip presents. Large lady fish and Spanish on silver gotcha plug.

Bob Sikes - Slot Reds inside and outside the cut. Late evening on the outside at the end of the Jetties. In the early Morn on the inside at the end of the right jettie just in front of the empty lot at the corner of the beach. Pulled 6 slot Redfish out of this hole in 45 minutes on Sunday morn.

Dog Island - Massave Bulls are hanging on the back side of the Island just around the corner out of the cut/across from the State Park. Also saw some Heavers dragging a couple to the beach on the bay side of the State Park.

Late night on the dock - Cooler full of whiting with cut mullet. 50-60 each night.

Surf beside Bob Sikes - Just walked of the beach. Cast 150 yards out and the Blues and Pomps will wear you out. Could only operate one rig the action was so heavey. Blues on cut mullet and Pomps on Yellow bucktail tipped with a sand flea.

St George is a cool place. I was there two years ago & fished Bob Sikes cut. I'll be going back again in August & staying near the park. I'll probably just throw jigs, spoons & spooks during the day & then chunk at night for sharks.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys - I'm headed to the area on vacation in about three weeks and have been researching like crazy to see what I can catch down there.

I have never been to the island before, and have no idea what to expect. A guy told me about this forum and the frequent reports that are posted. So far I like what I see!

I won't have a boat to fish from, but will have a jet ski - hoping that might get me access to some different areas to fish from?

Anyhow, any pointers, tips, or info would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S. - I've been surf fishing one time on the eastern Florida coast - only managed a few blues and had a shark break me off. Looking to tangle with another and catch a few fish that eat a little better than those blues did.

View PostData collected from 5/1 to 5/6

West Pass - Reds on cut mullet inside the cut just behind the chop, 20-30 ft. Strong stingray and Black Tip presents. Large lady fish and Spanish on silver gotcha plug.

Bob Sikes - Slot Reds inside and outside the cut. Late evening on the outside at the end of the Jetties. In the early Morn on the inside at the end of the right jettie just in front of the empty lot at the corner of the beach. Pulled 6 slot Redfish out of this hole in 45 minutes on Sunday morn.

Dog Island - Massave Bulls are hanging on the back side of the Island just around the corner out of the cut/across from the State Park. Also saw some Heavers dragging a couple to the beach on the bay side of the State Park.

Late night on the dock - Cooler full of whiting with cut mullet. 50-60 each night.

Surf beside Bob Sikes - Just walked of the beach. Cast 150 yards out and the Blues and Pomps will wear you out. Could only operate one rig the action was so heavey. Blues on cut mullet and Pomps on Yellow bucktail tipped with a sand flea.

How is the access to Bob Sikes? Never been before, wondering what to expect. Also, which dock are you talking about? Would love to fill a cooler with some whiting - heard they are really good to eat!

Have fished SGI numerous times...Access to Bob Sikes is dependent upon where you stay (in/out of "Plantation") and/or boat access. All beaches fish well for whiting. Many folks just use a light LM Bass spinning outfit. They don't use rod spikes much, preferring to hold the rod. The "fish finder" rig there is usually a one ounce egg sinker sliding on the main line w/ a two to three foot leader and a 2 to 1/0 circle hook. FRESH shrimp, just tip the hook, cast long and s-l-o-w-l-y reel the bait back toward shore. I also use the fishbites product sometimes. For reds I like to cast either just inside or outside the bar and use a two hook "earl brinn" fish finder rig with cut bait and larger hooks (and I spike the rod). Walking the beach at low light can be great for pompano using small jigs tipped w/ shrimp or fishbites. Also, there are often schools of spanish and ladyfish that will hit anything shiny. Seatrout are also in the surf there! And then there's the east end. Access to the east end was washed out a few years ago by a hurricane and I do not know if the "road" was repaired. Way too much to convey about the eastend, but a great place to fish.

Cool! Sounds like getting to Bob Sikes may be more difficult than I thought. We're right there where all of those rental houses are huddled together, not far from the causeway - that would be a long walk to Bob Sikes....and I'm guessing parking near Sikes will be difficult based on what I've heard/read.

I was hoping to catch a blacktip or two....odds are probably slim in any place other than Sikes......right?

No, although the beach near where the new causeway comes in has the poorest fishing on the island, the east end is great. If you can not get access to the plantation and bob sikes cut, go to the public areas of the state park on the east end of the island. if you can get to the end of the island, even better. check w/ both tackle/bait shops on the island.

The guy at the Headquarters is a real piece of work. Check it out for yourself. Survivors is generally better but they don't usually know much about the fishing. They usually just have someone there behind the counter. It is a strange place, dependant upon tourists for their livelihood and doing everything they can to drive the tourists away.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys been out of it a while. Access to Bob Sikes? Well, if your not staying in the Plantation you had better have a boat. The dock we fishid from was at the house we stayed at. It 3 docks down from Jimmy Buffets Place to the right coming out of the Cut.

Survivors is my stop for bait. However, if you can catch the guy who delivers the mullet to them (about 6 in the morn) You can talk to him and he will deliver the bait right to your dock if you staying on the Bay side. Tell him which boat is yours and he will fill your livewell. leave him the money in one of your dry wells. I payed him double from what he was asking.

He made it well worth it. I had fresh bait the whole time we were there and only talked to him one time. Good guy - think his name was Jim. Tell him DJ sent you.

Black Tips you say. Get to the West Cut. No need to chum as the current is pretty swift. Gash up a whole mullet, let the current take it away from the boat about 100 yards and hang on. they say black tips only get to be about 6 foot. Na, I've seen better there.

I'll be in SGI starting weekend Aug 22 if anyone wants to try to catch a tarpon from the beach with me. They say it hard. but, I beleave I have the equipment to get it done.

• 1 month later...
View PostSorry guys been out of it a while. Access to Bob Sikes? Well, if your not staying in the Plantation you had better have a boat. The dock we fishid from was at the house we stayed at. It 3 docks down from Jimmy Buffets Place to the right coming out of the Cut.

Jimmy Buffet now? Well I've always heard the stories about Hank Williams Jr.'s house (the monstrosity on the Gulf overlooking the cut), but I've never heard the JB story. I guess it is possible, but considering half the people you meet down there are parrot heads, I'm surprised I haven't heard that one before.

Two weeks from today I'll be in the land of the mosquito for some flounder fishing. I got a new Penn 525 mag combo this year so the rod tube is longer than normal.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for Jimmy (and Hank) if I get out that way.