• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WahooJames

WahooJames
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted April 28 2008 - 3:13 PM

My post on the Top Chef thread regarding beer and food made me think of my favorite beer/food pairing, which is Dunkel (Dark German Lager) with Pork... specifically, the Hax'n at Zum Schneider in NYC is a dream come true.
Does anyone have a recipe for Hax'n, also called Schweinehaxe? Seems to be pretty basic other than finding the specific cut of meat.... any and all tips are appreciated.

Got good cards, but the wrong man's dealin'.

#2 thirteenfoxtrot

thirteenfoxtrot
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 8:52 AM

Try googling Schweinshaxn or if you understand German, google Schweinshaxn mit Sauerkraut rezept.
Don't forget to put caraway seeds in the sauerkraut

#3 JimW

JimW
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,958 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 10:02 AM

That looks like Eisbein. I couldn't tell you if that is the same as Haxe. I've only had it boiled and wouldn't exactly call it a treat. I thought Haxe might be a roasted version with crispy skin. I think the cut is just a big fresh ham hock.

#4 thirteenfoxtrot

thirteenfoxtrot
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 10:25 AM

Same thing, It comes from an unsmoked pork hock.There are many ways to prepare it.

#5 Steve in Mass

Steve in Mass
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,697 posts
  • LocationFoxborough, Ma

Posted April 30 2008 - 10:27 AM

Between the Dunkelweiss and the German pork, ya just brought me back to the few days I got to spend in Bavaria about 15 years ago.....

SOL Member #174

#6 thirteenfoxtrot

thirteenfoxtrot
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 10:48 AM

I know what you mean Steve. I spent two years there.
How about a king sized jaegerschnitzel?

#7 Steve in Mass

Steve in Mass
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 48,697 posts
  • LocationFoxborough, Ma

Posted April 30 2008 - 2:01 PM

I know what you mean Steve. I spent two years there.

Whereabouts?......The few days I was there, I stayed in Moosburg for 3 days or so.....also had the opportunity to go to Heufeld for a morning/early afternoon, another larger town down the road from Moosburg , which the name escapes me right now (I think it starts with an "L", had a river running thru the center of town, and they had some tunnel thru a mountainside) for dinner one night, and an afternoon in Munich.

Moosburg was a quaint, cool little town with lots of neat shops and such.....except, nearly NO ONE spoke English, so I had to struggle with my two semesters of High School German and my German-English dictionary.....

SOL Member #174

#8 thirteenfoxtrot

thirteenfoxtrot
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 5:06 PM

I was stationed in Amberg and traveled all over Bavaria. My unit (2nd ACR) was in charge of patrolling the entire Czech border during the Cold War. I got to go skiing in the Alps every February, went to the Oktoberfest in Munich twice and took a boat cruise down the Danube where they served venison tenderloin (one of the best meals I've ever had).
I'll get there back one of these years.

#9 Brewroom

Brewroom
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 5:11 PM

Anyone ever have the Scheuferle in Franken? It's the shoulder blade, bone in, cut long ways, unreal.

The BOMB!!!

Bamberg has plenty, go to Schlenkerla Gasthaus. Have a Rauchbier while yer at it!

#10 kw

kw
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted April 30 2008 - 6:31 PM

Man does that stuff ever look good. Thanks for the pics.

Now I gotta clean the keyboard...and screen.