Custom Vs. Factory Rod

Rate this topic

Reed422

I'm sure this debate has been on here before but I do have a few questions. So I want a spinning rod that has a sweet spot of around 1 or 1 1/2 to 2 or 2 1/2 throwing plugs, rubber and eels. The three rods I have been contemplating are the arra factory, lami surf and jetty factory and custom rainshadow. Any thoughts?

lami GLB 108 2MH 9' 2piece blank holds 1-3

lami XRA 120 3-2 10' 2 piece holds holds 3/4-2 1/2

lami XRA 108 4-2 9' 2 piece holds 1-4

lami has other really good blanks but they are 1 piece blanks

custom is better because you can have that rod set up exactly how you want it, with factory you have to live with how they think it should be.

fish hard and live long

Are you thinking of the 9-10 foot range of sticks? If so, I would not dish out $$ on a custom 2 piece spin plug rod. Save the $$ for the 1 piece and pick up a factory arra, s&j, or the new super surf series rods. Tape the 2 sections of rod together if you're gonna pop pencils and you will probably be very happy. Some good deals on the BST forum for these rods too. Good luck!

View PostThis will be my first really high end rod and I have never got a custom. I'm not sure what I would say to a builder to make it better. I just want to be able to cast far and have a light rodsmile.gif

If you want a light rod that casts far- nothing better than the arra. They offer 2 pcs. as well in multiple lure ratings/lgths.- factory built right here on sol store.smile.gif

i honestly would buy factory,, just for ease of warranty.

if it breaks, just send the whole thing. no need to strip guides. reel seats and all that crap.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

View Post with factory you have to live with how they think it should be.

I think it's a case of "I hope this butt length pleases the most people and that should be enough guides to keep from breaking it if you don't wail on it... But we saved the money on two guides and the labor of wrapping them.

Don't get me wrong, factory rods are fine and catch loads of fish. However, the design options and layouts are limitless, and I might build a blank differently simply because of how it will be used, even if it's a spinner both times.smile.gif

As far as a blank with a sweetspot in that low range, I'd be looking at Lami's GSH line of blanks and have something made. It will be far superior to what you can get off the shelf.

These blanks throw light plugs and metals with ease and have the lifting power in the butt to tackle large fish.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

I'll tell you what--if you can live with the stock reel seat placement, the new Lami SSU factory rods are as good as almost any custom builder could make one. Alconite guides and tips, and in the proper sizes and spacings for top casting and fishing performance.

The real weakness of the Arra and S&J factory rods, IMO, are the guides. Some of the Arras don't have enough--especially the 9' and under modles. And both the Arras and S&Js use Fuji's cheapest aluminum oxide guides--not even Hardaloys. Some of the S&J spinning models come with oversized casting guides on them. Custom builders can really improve on what the factory gives you with those two model lines. A custom Arra, or a custom GSB, is well worth the extra money.

The SSUs are damn near perfect right from the factory. The 10' M model is rated an honest 1 to 4 oz.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

While I usually go custom there is one big difference. If a custom breaks due to a flaw in the blank all you will get back is a new blank, minus shipping cost. With a factory rod you get a whole new rod. So if your going with a 2 piece i would buy a factory to get the protection. The Lami XS 9 MSH is a decent jetty rod. If you go custom 1 piece a 1088 Pac Bay or Rainshadow should do the trick.