Porgy Fishing with Light Tackle

Rate this topic

FishinFEEver

I love fried porgy! I like to call em scup. Every summer my friends and I go to "our" spot, we get fat meaty ones. They always show up at a certain time! Scup fishing, we use 7ft 2pc surf rods. Tsunami Airwave + Trophy, Penn Spinfisher, Daiwa Eliminator. Hiking a bit through forest so 2pc is a must. We use 2 hook dropper setup with 2-3oz pyramid sinkers. For bait, we mainly use seaworms followed by clams. Poor worms have to be amputated for their services. Split into 1 inch sections and put on the size 2 baithooks. The worm's scent will get them to the area in no time! The scary part is if a large striper or blue hooks on! Hasnt happened to me yet! Knock on wood! i dont think a size 2 hook would last very long on a big fish's lips! wink.gif

View PostI love fried porgy! I like to call em scup. Every summer my friends and I go to "our" spot, we get fat meaty ones. They always show up at a certain time! Scup fishing, we use 7ft 2pc surf rods. Tsunami Airwave + Trophy, Penn Spinfisher, Daiwa Eliminator. Hiking a bit through forest so 2pc is a must. We use 2 hook dropper setup with 2-3oz pyramid sinkers. For bait, we mainly use seaworms followed by clams. Poor worms have to be amputated for their services. Split into 1 inch sections and put on the size 2 baithooks. The worm's scent will get them to the area in no time! The scary part is if a large striper or blue hooks on! Hasnt happened to me yet! Knock on wood! i dont think a size 2 hook would last very long on a big fish's lips! wink.gif

I think I know where your "our" spot is...... LOTS of people know that spot unfortunatly. cwm31.gif

Have caught keeper sized ones on tiny sabiki rigs. When they're in the bay I love using a light spinning rod, maybe 1oz weight and the scrappy slabs will even take some drag.

When specifically targeting them in a bit deeper waters, I like my light fluke bucktailing rods. Even with a graphite stick and braid, we put a good amount into the boat.smile.gif

Have even caught some while fishing a jighead tipped with a Gulp grub while fluking.

Team Goats

When fishing in the Spring I'll use the same rod I use for light bucktailing.

St. Croix Premier 6'6" Light Action and a Shimano Stradic 1000. This rod has plenty of backbone for big Fluke yet light enough for Porgies.

When I'm targeting the Porgies I like to use a small 1/4 ounce Spro bucktail with the smallest amount of a squid strip.

-Jr

MSA Member # 0420

L.I. Til I Die!