2 stroke vs 4 stroke

Rate this topic

iphish

just some Honda VTEC 150 four stroke notes.

I have 950+ hours. My engine turns 3 next month, so thats 2 years of running. Did the math and I am approx. averaging 14 , 8 hours days per month, in an 8 month boating season. I have experienced nothing, not 1 issue with my engine. The boat/engine has been 40 miles off Monomoy ,and crabbing in the Navasink river. I have ,and others have turned the key while its running.

The fuel economy has been incredible. Paired with tilt/trim and oversized tabs, 100 gallons of fuel , i'm pretty happy with the configuration, and the results i am getting out of my motor. I change the oil every 100 hours, and the filter. Why wouldn't anyone want to change the oil? Its a small price for better performance. I'm not going to bash any other engine, but only comment on what i've seen on the h20. I have seen 2 blown Etec's/ lower units, and been on a boat with two that just kept stalling. Also my friend does have a 06 200 Etec which i have towed him in numerous times.

With all that said, maybe they just have to work out some kinks, just like any new product.

Now my engine maybe a little 'slower' out of the hole shot( 49 MPH WOT), \\

but the last time i checked this aint the deep south and "racing" is not the medium in the northeast.At least not where/when I fish. The four stroke is also a little heavier, but i'm not picking it up.

Also as far as "maintainence"

so far it has cost me approx 550.00 usd to tune up, my engine each year.

i am sure it can be done for much less. im not a mech. so i'd much rather pay professionals to do it. Also my warrantee is for 6 years so i'd rather not chance voiding that.

If costs to repair, or maintain your boat or engine are a major factor then i would advise not buying anything at all, and make friends with some one who has a vessel. Now a days EVERYTHING costs alot and is marked up. I'm sure when its time i will have to pay the piper, but i sure had fun getting there.

My advice.

I'd be happy to answer any Honda questions.

JayR, I'm with you my man. The E-TEC is a great motor. I'm going on year #3 with mine, and it's been outstanding on fuel, and oil. I had one issue with paint bubbling on my lower unit and They replaced the entire unit for free. Not even a moment of hesitation on their part. The 7 year Warranty is Top Notch, and my motor has run flawlessly from March into January. XD100 is what I run in my engine since day 1.

I recently went to the Atlantic City Boat show here in NJ last weekend, I guess Zukes are not popular in NJ, I only saw a handfull. That show was dominated by Mercs, Yami and E-TEC seemed about even from display to display. The Zukes may be great, I have no idea. One thing I can tell you is I was a guest of a large multi marina exibitor at the show. I had a wonderfull dinner with them and a long night of fun. When they decided to bust on me for owning an E-TEC, they brought over the heavy hitter who actually is the #3 man in the company to lay into me. I didn't invite the conversation. I never even mentioned I owned a boat, a buddy of mine wanted to throw me under the bus for a few laughs with these guys. AT first, they gave me the HOW MUCH OIL YOU BURNING, MUST SUCK TO PAY FOR ALL THAT GAS AND OIL ALL THE TIME, and BET YOU WISH YOU BOUGHT A 4Stroke, blah, blah, blah. i came back with the standard, Well, At least I get to use my boat instead of standing in a service department wondering when you're going to finish with the maintanence and charge me a Grand. They continued on but in the end said to me, you know what, you actually do have a great product, we just wanted to bust your balls for the hell of it. I laughed it off, and just felt like, To each his own. Personally, I could have hung a Yami or Merc on my transom for the same $$ with my connections, but I'm really glad I gave the E-TEC a shot. It's been nothing but great to me.

I'm not saying one is better than the other but the maintenance is not the end of the world wit the four stroke yammies if you do your own fuel filter and oil changes and lower unit all ya gotta take it in for is valves every 500 hrs its not really that bad. Also of the people i know wit E-tec's, the guys with smaller single engine boats like em just fine. The guys ive met and no wit bigger CC's wit twins and trips don't seem so happy. To me the only real advantage to the E-Tec is the weight and that is a very big factor in how a hull handles. Other than that it almost seems its just a matter of brand loyalty.

View PostJayR, I'm with you my man. The E-TEC is a great motor. I'm going on year #3 with mine, and it's been outstanding on fuel, and oil. I had one issue with paint bubbling on my lower unit and They replaced the entire unit for free. Not even a moment of hesitation on their part. The 7 year Warranty is Top Notch, and my motor has run flawlessly from March into January. XD100 is what I run in my engine since day 1.

I recently went to the Atlantic City Boat show here in NJ last weekend, I guess Zukes are not popular in NJ, I only saw a handfull. That show was dominated by Mercs, Yami and E-TEC seemed about even from display to display. The Zukes may be great, I have no idea. One thing I can tell you is I was a guest of a large multi marina exibitor at the show. I had a wonderfull dinner with them and a long night of fun. When they decided to bust on me for owning an E-TEC, they brought over the heavy hitter who actually is the #3 man in the company to lay into me. I didn't invite the conversation. I never even mentioned I owned a boat, a buddy of mine wanted to throw me under the bus for a few laughs with these guys. AT first, they gave me the HOW MUCH OIL YOU BURNING, MUST SUCK TO PAY FOR ALL THAT GAS AND OIL ALL THE TIME, and BET YOU WISH YOU BOUGHT A 4Stroke, blah, blah, blah. i came back with the standard, Well, At least I get to use my boat instead of standing in a service department wondering when you're going to finish with the maintanence and charge me a Grand. They continued on but in the end said to me, you know what, you actually do have a great product, we just wanted to bust your balls for the hell of it. I laughed it off, and just felt like, To each his own. Personally, I could have hung a Yami or Merc on my transom for the same $$ with my connections, but I'm really glad I gave the E-TEC a shot. It's been nothing but great to me.

I hear you guys with two strokes say this all the time. I still don't know where you are getting that from? It cost $38.00 for a whole case of oil and about $5 for a filter.

I assume you are talking about valve adjustment? I have had my current 4 stroke for 4 years never done anything but the once a year oil change, gear oil, and racor. If a valve needs adjusting you would now it from the sound and performance. I don;t know anyone who has needed a valve adjustment on their 4 stroke.

If thats not what you are refering to I would like to know what is costing 4 stroke guys thousands and keeping their boats in the shop.headscratch.gif

"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

View PostJay, how much have you spent on oil and maintenance in two years?

Maintenance has been $0, My oil resevoir holds probably 4 gallons. I like to keep it full, so in the past 2 years I have put a total of 6 gallons of XD100 in, and it's full right now. I have probably 120hrs on it, and 90% of those hours are above 4700rpm. When I'm running to my fishing spots I go pretty quick. She tops out around 5600rpm's with tabs off. I'm running a 200hp HO on a 4500lb deep v CC. If I just take it easy, the motor uses hardly any oil, The 6 gallons also includes two winterizations, which uses the same oil to fog itself. I doubt it's much in the scheme of things, but I find this motor so much more economical than my past 175hp evinrude. I feel as if I'm using half the oil now. When I bought my motor, the fellas threw in 5 free gallons, So I haven't bought too many. I paid $32 a gallon last November.

I sprayed it down twice with the CRC lub the dealer sells for keeping it dry and protected from corrosion, so that's probably another $5? It's basically just Gas and Oil so far. When I got a new lower unit for free, BRP threw in a new complete water pump, and lower unit oil, so I think I'm pretty set. Oh...I waxed it probably 5 times, Hugged it probably twice, and bought it a nice

E-TEC custom cover to keep her looking like new, that was $75....LOL!!

I don't know...you tell me. Yamaha even sells their very own Maintenance Meter.

Part# ENG-METER-4C-02

For 4-stroke outboards. Preprogrammed to alert operator at 10 hours, then every 100 hours thereafter for scheduled maintenance.

Is that just oil changes and filter, I doubt it.

I'm not cutting any outboard down, I think the consumer has excellent options today, and they all are making a good engine. I just like the E-TEC. I've driven the Verado, and the Yami 4 Stroke. They very sweet. I liked the Verado a lot. I had it to myself on a brand new 2006 22ft Whaler for an entire afternoon. It was cool, but nothing like the power coming out of my E-TEC, and I have a much heavier boat. The Yami was great too, very quiet, and smooth. I had that for an hour on a 23ft 2006 Regulator. If I closed that deal, I would be talking up my Yami I bet. Carry on.

View PostI hear you guys with two strokes say this all the time. I still don't know where you are getting that from? It cost $38.00 for a whole case of oil and about $5 for a filter.

I think your oil and filter costs are similar to my yearly cost for XD-100

Looks like a wash so I hope you don't go harping on the price of XD-100 again wink.gif

For some guys, the 4-stroke maintenance is quite expensive as was noted right here in this thread a page back:

View Postj

Also as far as "maintainence"

so far it has cost me approx 550.00 usd to tune up, my engine each year.

That's a lot more than the $0.00 costs I have in the 1st 3 years.

Hopefully, that includes winterization too. Again, I have no cost associated with that as all it takes is a minute or so to push a button and adjust the throttle a couple of times.

Honestly, for what we are paying for fuel, this all looks like pennies.

that 550.00 cost included( dont have the receipt in front of me)

- titanium plugs -

- oil and filter change

- lower unit gear oil change

- high speed and low speed fuel filter change

- h20 separator

-winterize/ fog

- fuel stabil added

- of course the usuall inspect, service, grease etc.

all of the above i observed the mech. while he did the service. , so when the warantee is up i'll only be paying for the parts, and doing it myself. the majority of the bill is labor of course.

Thanks for the explanation.

You likely make up for it in fuel economy. Those Hondas sip fuel better than them all.

The guy I bought my boat from had another just like mine with a 200 Honda on it. He loved it too.

View PostI think your oil and filter costs are similar to my yearly cost for XD-100

Looks like a wash so I hope you don't go harping on the price of XD-100 again wink.gif(I never harped on the price of XD-100. That was in one of the posts that I cut and pasted. I woudn't complain about the cost for 4 stroke or 2 stroke oil. I feel if the guy is complaining about such little cost he probably shouldn't own a boat)

For some guys, the 4-stroke maintenance is quite expensive as was noted right here in this thread a page back: ( Even for what he had done i think that price was off the chart. Someone else said "Oil/Filter/Gear lube and done" He is correct. The other stuff like Racors, Plugs, Impellars, etc (as well as the nefore mentioned gear oil) have to be done on either. $500 was a lot of coin. If he is happy paying that then no big deal. I wouldn't though)

That's a lot more than the $0.00 costs I have in the 1st 3 years. (What did you pay for oil in those three years? No fouled plugs yet? If you haven't changed gear oil in three yours your just nuts!)

Hopefully, that includes winterization too. Again, I have no cost associated with that as all it takes is a minute or so to push a button and adjust the throttle a couple of times.

Honestly, for what we are paying for fuel, this all looks like pennies.

I have A LOT of friends that run 4 strokes. I have never heard of thousands of dollars in maintenence. I think that just comes from the etec commercials.

Two or four stoke..If you own a boat at some point you will be spending money on something. Just comes with the territory.

By the way I will have a new toy hopefully by May. Jones Brother Cape Fisherman 2300 w/ Yammie F250 and trailer. She is a screamer. Going down to see Donnie Jones in two weeks. Had a chance to buy a Privateer for cost but a long wait to get her. (I am helping Privateer with some changes. Look for some interesting things from them in the next few years. They have always built a tank of a boat)

The real temptation was the fact that Twin Vee just introduced the 22 Baycat single engine. Unfortunately they have a deck fore and aft. I just want a nice level floor 360* with bolster all the way around. Looking forward to the new toy. I try to get a new rig every 5 years or so. Makes you feel better when you shoot 70 miles solo.

Tight lines, Bob

"It isn't that Liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan