Ramapo Reservation

jackryan

Swung by the Ramapo Reservation on 202 this weekend. Didn't have gear with me, but thought I would ask how people do there. Seems to be a variety of fish to target, trout in the Ramapo River, trout and LMB in Scarlet Oak Pond, and LMB up the hill in MacMillan Reservoir. Is Bear Swamp Lake walkable from MacMillan?

Bear Swamp Lake is a few mile hike up through the woods from the reservation lot. It's easier to access from Bear Swamp Road off of 202. It's paved all the way up to the lake, it's still a couple mile hike but it's all paved road. I have never fished it but others have told me it's only so-so fishing at best. I was up close to there this weekend and almost got hit by some illegal dirt bikers/Atv riders.beatin.gif As for trout, it's best to hit the river during the stocking seasons, some trout do holdover but it's really slow and the warmwater species get to be a pain.

• 4 years later...

Hey every one first post, Ramapo reservation is a excellent fishing location to those who don't want to "waste their time" that's fine more for the ones who do :D I've fished macmillan reservoir twice so far this year both times great bass fishing landed over 12 lmb missed a few nice ones unfortunately get there early in the a.m and your golden enjoy and be careful

Don't hold your breath on summer holdover trout in the ramapo, there is a trout production trib that has very limited access. However, the ramapo does have panfish and smallies, but its slow fishing. Scarlett oak pond is hit or miss, the reservoir & lake up the hill are were you want to be.

used to live sloatsburg across the from the ramapo river. was fishing there in the summer on time. wading in shorts and sneakers. the water was warm. walked up to a very small feeder brook. instantly the water was much colder. there were trout all packed in the cooler water. live minnows work very well there and will catck some very nice trout.