Ocean City reel and weird looking rod...

Rate this topic

D Powell

While helping a friend organize a relatives home who died - I was given an Ocean City Reel that was found in the attic. #112 Bay City - Salt Water Reel 250 Yd. size - is written on the side of the box. It is still wrapped in the oil paper in the original box with, the instructions and a tube (in it's own small box) of LUBRIPLATE oil.

Next to the reel was a metal multi-sided fishing rod about 5' long. Besides the metal, another interesting feature of the rod is a highly carved wooden handle. The info inside the reel box mentions "MONTAGUE RODS" Ideal Companions for Ocean City Reels. It also mentions "Hollowsteel" with flashing Naturalcast action.

Both of these things appear to be in mint condition. Does anyone know the history or any other facts about these things? I can post some images after the weekend if that would help with the identification.

Thanks for any help.

Dave smile.gif

SOL #18

Basically what you got there is chain store fishing tackle from the past.Ocean city reels in this region are common as dirt.They were a popular inexpensive reel of

the first half of the 20th century.They are not highly desirable in the collectible market.Look on e-bay you'll see lots of them,Penns too.

The rod should have a name on it somewhere.Probably not worth much either.Steel rods rarely are.Rods back then pretty much all had turned wood handles.Sounds like a casting rod for freshwater as a saltwater boat rod made from steel would be incredibly heavy.They are usually bamboo.

Value on your stuff is about 25.00 to 50.00.Tops.I typically buy Ocean city reels for 5 to 10.00 dollars or not at all .You can keep the rod.It's hard to find a buyer for that kind of stuff.Most collectors would rather spend more for better hard to find items.A reel in the box in excellent condition is good.Best thing to do is put it away in a closet somewheres and forget about it.Eventually someone will decide it's the hot item to collect and everybody will just gotta have one.

You could use those pieces as a start of a "theme collection"Get a case and put a display of matched period saltwater tackle in it.You know,a couple rods,some reels,some plugs ,old tinsquids,catalogs,leader packaging,etc.I've seen some of these that look really nice.You could do one with say, fishing tackle in the thirties in New Jersey.Wouldn't cost a whole lot,most of that stuff no one wants anyway.If you decide to collect as you get more knowledgeable and selective in what you buy you can upgrade and cull.

10x10,

Thanks for your feedback! I hadn't thought of selling the items, I think just having 'em in the "fishing room" would be pretty cool. smile.gif Are you thinking 1950's? I was surprised at the low value you mentioned because the box is marked $95.00.

Again I appreciate you taking the time to reply. smile.gif

Dave

SOL #18

• 6 years later...

Do you want to sell or just get a value? Did a search and found reel in box #112 for "buy now" price of $49.99. As 10x10 said,stick it away in a cardboard box to protect the packaging and do not place in plastic as this increases humidity and thus corrosion/tarnish. If you wish to sell,shop around for the right buyer, not the first one you find. Some collectors prefer a single make. Brands tend to go in and out of style. When the OC's have been tossed out because they are common and low-valued now, someone will be there to bring the price back up. Wait it out.