BOL/Mineral Spirits storage

Rate this topic

Raza

Hey guys,

can you store Blo/Mineral spirits in a plastic container? A company gave us this big pistachio jar with a clamp lid. Seems like it would work great. I just don't know if the mix will eat the plastic.

If it doesn't, must the lid be open when soaking or can you put the plugs in and close it for the 10-15 minutes??

View PostI use plastic containers that swimming pool chemicals come in. You have to change the container every few months. The BLO mix will cause the plastic to become very brittle and break. Don't ask me how I know.

Am I better off using glass or a empty paint can?

I used to use 1 gallon coffee containers, kind of difficultto do more than a few plugs, now I have a small plastic conatainer I bought at Lowes, it is a little larger than a shoe box and has a lid that has handles that draw the lid shut.... no spillage, no evaporation of the spirits..and it can handle dozens of plugs at once..

Hey guys, i went to a homies and a walmart (since they are right next door to each other) I got a tall glass container from walmart with a lid, (i made my blo/mineral spirits mix in that) I'm going to give this a shot first. I like it since it's taller and will handle larger plugs.

Raza

View PostIf you only do a few at a time, a section of PVC pipe a little larger than your plug will work too. Glue on an end cap on the base and use a spring clamp or something to hold it upright. Put another end cap on when you are done and store it ready for next time.

Jigman

Well right now i can only dip one at a time. And the wood is so bouyant that i have to stand there holding it down with a wire. I'll make a mesh with a weight and wire that will hold downt he plugs so i can do 3 or 4 in one shot.

I took a few seconds last night and took some pictures for you of my set up...there might be something here to help you..

I cut 6" lengths of coat hanger and put a slight bend in them , this helps keep them from sliding out of the plug, when I emerse the plug in the solution, I push the plug under holding one end high to let the drilled chamber fill with sealer, after no more bubbles come out, I drop the plug in the solution, after a soak for 30 minutes or so (cedar) I then use another wire and fish the plug out of the solution,hang it above the container and let it drip for awhile, I can do about 12-14 8" plugs at once, after they have dripped dry, I then move them up the rack....the lid has handles that snap the lid shut making it virtualy spill proof, I do set the container in a tin foil turkey pan to catch any stray drips, or in the event of a spill...

I bought the container at lowes, I think the cost was about $5

Awesome rockfish. Thanks for your help on everything! You're really getting the ball rolling for me! I have two plugs that are up and drying right now.

I use pine and when I put the plug in my container with the wire, as soon as i let go fo the wire the plug shot straight up. So I basically hung my golve on top of the wire which kept the plug under for about 5 min. I'm going to give it till tomorrow to dry (i put it up to dry last night around 9:00)

smile.gif I can't wait to start painting!

Good stuff Rockfish icon14.gif

View Post ..... I'm going to give it till tomorrow to dry (i put it up to dry last night around 9:00)

smile.gif I can't wait to start painting!

I would give it a week to dry with BLO or you'll find the sealer was not dry and the primer/paint/clear will flake right off.

Jigman

View PostGood stuff Rockfish icon14.gif

I would give it a week to dry with BLO or you'll find the sealer was not dry and the primer/paint/clear will flake right off.

Jigman

A WEEK!?!?! ah man. Guess I should turn a crap load more so once that week is up I'll have a good supply.