Chevy Tahoe Transmission problem

Charlie G

I just found out my Chevy Tahoe sand sled has automatic trans problems. I was told the selonoid switch from 1st gear to 2nd gear is shot. I was wondering if any one has had this problem in a Chevy ? Any one have any idea of the cost to repair this ? I was told around $1,000. to repair it from a dealer. This might end my season.

View PostI just found out my Chevy Tahoe sand sled has automatic trans problems. I was told the selonoid switch from 1st gear to 2nd gear is shot. I was wondering if any one has had this problem in a Chevy ? Any one have any idea of the cost to repair this ? I was told around $1,000. to repair it from a dealer. This might end my season.

Don't worry Charlie.....I'm getting ready to have my tranny fixed in my Toy....stays in OD up to a stop...then drops to first when I take off with a clunk!!! My tranny guy here in Vineland said it could be a speed sensor just covered with a shard of metal on up to....you guessed it...a $1000.00.

Said he won't know till he cracks it open. But he's good and he's honest!!!

Tight lines!!!

My Wife is still driving my '97 daily. 170,000 miles so far. Four years ago I was crossing Rt 9 to get into my development and heard a big clunk! I lost second and reverse. I had about 10,000 over my 100,000 extended warranty. They completely rebuilt the trans under warranty. The 'cage' that has 2nd and reverse exploded. I am so glad I opted for the optional 100,000 mi warranty when I bought it. I think it might have been $1,500 at the time and I argued with the Wife to get it. With all the junk I had done under warranty I saved 10 times that much. 4 alternators, head gasket, various electronic stuff like the ping sensor, main computer, rear gears and the trans. My '03 Honda on the other hand has almost 100,000 miles and hasn't had a problem but.....I can't drive it on the sand.

I never really noticed the problem. The Tahoe just won't shift into 1st gear. A shot selonoid that showed up when they did a code search on the putter. All I noticed was it ate more gas and the "service engine soon" light came on.

Thay say they have to drop the pan and install a new selanoid. I'm having a new filter and fluid put in also. I'm going to let GM dealer do the work, I just feel better with them doing the work.