Cell Phone drowning

Rate this topic

Farflung

Over the years, I've seen a lot of threads about cell phones that have fell in either fresh or salt water. The following is some advice that was in the "TECH' Q&A column in my local paper:

Question: My daughters cell phone fell into the toilet. According to her friends this is fairly common. Her phone was ruined. What should people do if this happens.

Answer: Get the phone out of the water fast. Remove the battery and pat it dry. Also, pat the phone dry. If it has a SIM card, remove it. (AT&T and T-Mobile use SIM cards.) The SIM card fontains telelphone numbers and other data. Allow the phone to ldry. Then, immerse it in a bag of rice or silica packs overnight. I've used the bag of rice trick myself and it worked after my phone took a dip in the ocean. Heat also could work. use a blow dryer on the low setting. Do not heat the battery!

End of Article: So for what its worth. I had not seen the reccomendation to take out the SIM card. Also the warning re: battery and blow dryer is new to me.

drowned my phone on a jetty last weekend . had it inside a ziplock bag . When I took it out there was quite a bit of water inside the bag . I immediately turned the phone off and pulled the battery . Let it dry over night and popped the battery back in . Luckily it restarted . Most are not so lucky .

Google "wet cell phone" and you will see a ton of tips on saving your phone .

A couple of years ago I was on a "pirate ship" excursion out of Destin. FLA. This one guy was on his freakin cell almost the whole time. He finally hung up and put the phone in his jacket front handwarmer pocket. A few minutes later he was hanging over the railing to look at some porpoises that were swimming along the boat.

His phone slipped out of the pocket and went "splash" and sunk to the bottom of the bay. The rest of us on board cracked up as he had been so obnoxious on the thing.

He got pretty pissed off when we started saying "Can you hear me now? Glub . . .glub".

I'll have mine on the rocks.

Dropped mine in Corsons last year.

Took out the battery and SIM card and ran it under fresh water for 5 minutes.

Blow-dried it for 5 minutes and let it sit over night. Blow-dried it again in the morning and has worked perfectly since.

Now shes away from convent she's gone wild.
She's grown from a nice young lady to a child.