Fix for fuji rod tip

Rate this topic

Gollum

While fishing last weekend, I broke a part of my rod tip. I have an ugly stick big water model with fuji guides.

There was something like a black slotted o-ring that fit inside the guide tip. That o-ring is now missing and likely somewhere floating around in the Atlantic ocean. It seems that the tip without the o-ring is a little rough and the last thing I need is the metal to slice my line on a cast.

So how should I fix it? Can I get a replacement o-ring or do I have to get a whole new tip? I can post a picture if it will help but here is a tip that looks somewhat like mine.

Thanks in advance.

How we wish to catch a fish so juicy sweet.

You'll have to replace the tip. Take it to a local B&T, most likely it will be replaced while you wait. If your the do it yourself kind of person then lightly heat the tip with a match or lighter and then remove the tip with a pair of pliers (be careful not to over heat the tip about 150* is all it is going to take to break the glue bond) Then size the tip (in 64'ths of an inch, better yet take the top half to a local shop) and buy the right tip and a stick of tip top cement. Heat the stick (like a hot glue stick) and dab a bit on the rod tip then gently heat (125*-150*) the tip top and slide in place. Align with the guides and let it cool, then get back to fishing. IMHO learning to fix rod tips is a necessary skill in fishing. Believe me when I say that it won't be the last tip you brake!

Rod Building is an addiction, the N.E.R.B.S. help feed that addiction.

I live in the Washington DC area and I have yet to find a tackle shop within about a 2 hour drive, so I would like to fix it myself if I could. I am the do it myself type and like you said, fixing this is a useful skill.

I think I understand how to get the tip off. I'd like to find the right tip somewhere on the internet but I'm not sure how the sizing works. Do you just measure in a straight line across the female end of the tip or does the taper work into the measurement?

Also, is there a better tip I can get? What would you suggest for replacing it? Having it all match isn't as important to me as having a tip that works. This is my learning rod anyway. When I figure out what I'm doing, I'll either make or buy a nice one.

Is the tip glue readily available on the internet too?

Thanks, this is a part of fishing I don't know anything about.

Gollum,

Many Tackle shops have limited tip top sizes both tubes and guide. You must get a good fit with the rod shaft. The most accurate way is to get off the old tip and clean off any old glue.. Then using a micrometer or vernier measuer the rod blank diameter about half an inch from the end of the tip. With luck it will be close to one of the std tubes. Buy three tip tops. One as dead on as you can get and one up and one down from the measurment. That way one of these suckers should fit very close. Tip tops are cheap. Time is not . Suggest Fuji BPLT in size 10 or 12. Size 10 gives you more choice in tube sizes. Easiest way for a newbie to fix on is 5 min epoxy. Hot melt is ok but you have very liitle working time and it is possible to over heat the blank. Clean up with old towel and paint thinners to wipe off excess epoxy. When you have lined up the guide it can move so whilst rod sets stand rod vertical. Before epoxy sets hard make a final check. Use left over epoxy to see how soft/hard it is. Seems like a simple job but there are a few steps to make. Most B+T that I see do this job make me wince. Many are not averse to trying to make up for size differences by slapping on extra epoxy. Your tip top is likely then to be not axilaly aligned with the rod shaft. This is crap capital C.

Mike although I 100% agree with you about epoxy and the "proper" way of setting a tip top, the heat and stick method can be invaluable when doing in the field repairs. Think of this you have fish breaking in front of you and you bust your rod tip on a rock. What would you rather do? Slap a tip on with heat glue and get back to fishing in 2 min. , or go through the rigors of epoxy and curing time and have the rod resting for 1/2 an hour waiting for the epoxy to set correctly as the fish pass you by? And yes I'm the type of guy that has a few assorted tip tops in the van or in my gear bag on the boat.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have located some tips online. What are the measurements I am reading? For example what is a 10 ring 10 tube? Is that a measurement of millimeters? I can measure the tip I have with a caliper, but if I measure, and it doesn't say 10 on my caliper, I'm not going to know what that means.

I think it is a great idea to get three of them and I will do that, I just want to make sure I get three in the right neighborhood.

Thanks again.

View PostMike although I 100% agree with you about epoxy and the "proper" way of setting a tip top, the heat and stick method can be invaluable when doing in the field repairs. Think of this you have fish breaking in front of you and you bust your rod tip on a rock. What would you rather do? Slap a tip on with heat glue and get back to fishing in 2 min. , or go through the rigors of epoxy and curing time and have the rod resting for 1/2 an hour waiting for the epoxy to set correctly as the fish pass you by? And yes I'm the type of guy that has a few assorted tip tops in the van or in my gear bag on the boat.

Ralph,

I am with you. My caution is aimed at the new guy who can so easily cock this seemingly simple job up. I used to carry hot melt around but truth is where I fish the ability to do a field repair is next to impossible. I am up to my teeth in surf or balanced on a rock. Nowhere to store the spares or fixing kit. To be honest I have only busted one tip when actually on the beach in over 25 years.. It's quicker for me to run yes run back to the car and get a spare rod.

I think I may not have been clear in my first post. This is my surf rod. It is a 12 foot two piece rod. When I looked at Sports Authority and Wally's, the rod tips there were much too small.

Atlanta King, thank you for your offer. I may take you up on it. Since the tip is so big, I think it may be a little more rare to come by.

I'll try and take a picture of what I have when I get home. For now though, does anyone know how the tip tubes and rings are measured? What does a 10 tube mean?

a 10 tube is 10/64 of an inch. The "tube" is the portion of the tip guide that slides over the blank. The ring size is the size of the ring that the line passes through. Taking a long shot in the dark but i think you might need a 12 tube for that rod.