Fluke vs. California Halibut

Rate this topic

WFO

California halibut are really a flounder, just like Fluke. They are distantly related to PAcific Halibut, but are more closely related to Fluke. There aer differnce in appearance that you can see on good pictures. California Halibut are a little more oval-shaped. Fluke are a little more "round" shaped. California halibuts scales arevery small -almost invisible to the naked eye. California halibtu have different spot patterns and differnt colors - they range from darl brown to almost a light chocolate milk color.

In addition to those differences, California Halibut reach weights of over 70 lbs! The California rod and reel record is 59lbs. I regularly catch specimens in the 25-25 lbs range.

hey fishermannh nice fish! but if you poked that any closer to the camera we would change places smile.gif

those califorinan flukes look really nice.. they look tasty too! and look like they could put their shoulders into a good fight... I'd love to feed a bucktail to one of those guys!

The Horizon Calls..........

View Postthats with hook and line, net caught probobly get much bigger

supposedly the 24 lber was caught with a hook, line and sinker, well in this case braided line and bucktail jig....anyway it was a joke, but i need visual evidence or atleast a testimonial from a worker on a dragger of a 30 lb fluke being caught, just cant imagine it

• 1 year later...