Snook Head & Bucktail Jig / Photo

Rate this topic

Grandmaster Angler

I'm dying to catch a snook. Tried real hard in Mexico. We found a fresh break that fed into the ocean. Nada. Was not sure what to throw. GMS what is the best way to target them? Day/night? Structures/Sandy Beach? Lures on bottom or top? Slow or cranking it? Thanks.

View PostI'm dying to catch a snook. Tried real hard in Mexico. We found a fresh break that fed into the ocean. Nada. Was not sure what to throw. GMS what is the best way to target them? Day/night? Structures/Sandy Beach? Lures on bottom or top? Slow or cranking it? Thanks.

Exist many ways to target them, it depend of the conditions of the fishing zone:

1. Sandy beaches: Very early in the morning or in the sunset time, using lures.

2. Night time with live shrimp in mangroove channels or near structures

3. Structures with jigging method day or night.

4. River mouths very early in the morning or sunset time, using lures.

5. Casting lures in the border of mangroove channels

6. Trolling with lures near the border of the mangroove channels or behind river mouths.

7. Cast to the border of the mangroove channel, use the countdown method with Rapala Countdown lure, then retrieve the lure softly or with stop & go method.

8. Use varible type of lures to test different depths, explore the water collumn, this is the key of success.

9. Stop & Go / Continuous movements / Variable speeds / Slow speed / all are perfect to target snooks.

10. The lures are important:

* Bucktail jigs with curl tail (soft plastic) 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz, 1 oz

* Minnows like Rapala X Rap 10, 12 or 14

* Soft Shads with internal weight or armed with jigs.

I think the best place for your first snook is Florida because they protect them and exists more quantity of snooks and the probability are high.

México and central América (including Costa Rica) January thru May, in the summer season.

GMA

View PostExist many ways to target them, it depend of the conditions of the fishing zone:

1. Sandy beaches: Very early in the morning or in the sunset time, using lures.

2. Night time with live shrimp in mangroove channels or near structures

3. Structures with jigging method day or night.

4. River mouths very early in the morning or sunset time, using lures.

5. Casting lures in the border of mangroove channels

6. Trolling with lures near the border of the mangroove channels or behind river mouths.

7. Cast to the border of the mangroove channel, use the countdown method with Rapala Countdown lure, then retrieve the lure softly or with stop & go method.

8. Use varible type of lures to test different depths, explore the water collumn, this is the key of success.

9. Stop & Go / Continuous movements / Variable speeds / Slow speed / all are perfect to target snooks.

10. The lures are important:

* Bucktail jigs with curl tail (soft plastic) 1/2 oz, 3/4 oz, 1 oz

* Minnows like Rapala X Rap 10, 12 or 14

* Soft Shads with internal weight or armed with jigs.

I think the best place for your first snook is Florida because they protect them and exists more quantity of snooks and the probability are high.

México and central América (including Costa Rica) January thru May, in the summer season.

GMA

I appreciate this very much GMA. I now have a very good friend that lives in FL. Hopefully he will show me his secret spot for Snook. HappyWave.gif

Thanks again.

Back in May I was fishing for snook with a half oz bucktail on a med action inshore rod with a shimano 4000 stradic. I had gotten down to the water just as the darkness was giving way to light. On my third cast I felt a hit just after the bucktail hit the water. Next my reel starts screaming, in seconds I am down to the backing. I try to cup the spool and just then a 5 foot tarpon jumps and snaps my line. Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight

• 1 year later...