How Long Do Sharks Live Out Of Water?

Rate this topic

bigkyle

Guys,

I've been noticing that some of the sharks me and my fishing buddies catch live for hours outside of the water. The other night we caught a shark around 8:00pm and well after 11:00pm the shark was still breathing(its gills were moving) Is this normal?

Only The Paranoid Survive

Years ago we had a Mako hog tied to the bow for over 5 hours. The thing was still alive and had to be shot before boarding. It all depends on species, temp., fight time, ect.

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

Not to sound like a tree-hugger but I usually stab anything im keeping in the head to hopefully brain kill the fish. It bothered me when we first started striper fishing on our boat and the fish would flop around in the ice box for a couple hours. I just figure I owe it to the fish. And as others said that shark was probably brain dead after a while but kept breathing because the rest of the nerves in its body were still alive. Bad things will happen when you least expect them. Thats a rule I live by especially when fishing.

John

Create instead of living off the buying and selling of others.......

View PostYears ago we had a Mako hog tied to the bow for over 5 hours. The thing was still alive and had to be shot before boarding. It all depends on species, temp., fight time, ect.

TF3,

Was this on your boat? Perhaps a happy surprise while looking for browns?

No Feev, I could hardly tie a bunker to my bowredface.gif But, if I were to get a Mako today on my boat it would be released. Don't get me wrong, it would be a blast to chase that around and it's very possible, but I'm lookin for that Cobia firstcrying.gif

I like EVERYONE, except for some people.

View PostNot to sound like a tree-hugger but I usually stab anything im keeping in the head

Taken slightly out of context that is an awesome quote tongue.gif

I have seen some ANGRY blue sharks going for peoples ankles.

Japanese Tuna fishermen have a specially designed spike they drive through the cortex, works for me with a fishing knife if you are decisive enough but I can imagine needing a few goes on a big shark and it might start to look a little horror movie like.

Don't know why you would want to keep a shark but that is a different discussion.

View PostNo Feev, I could hardly tie a bunker to my bowredface.gif But, if I were to get a Mako today on my boat it would be released. Don't get me wrong, it would be a blast to chase that around and it's very possible, but I'm lookin for that Cobia firstcrying.gif

Had a killer year chasin browns in the kayak. You'll get that cobia, there seem to be more around every year. Last year heard of 8 eek.gif cruising around a bell buoy in your fishing neighborhood, maybe a bit further offshore though.