Jump to content


Fixing a leaking PVC pipe joint

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikematt

  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • Joined: Oct-30 2000

Posted April 27 2007 - 8:40 AM

Got a leaking PVC pipe connection on my pool plumbing. Any easy way to fix this short of cutting it out and redoing the connection? If I slap a bunch on glue on the outside where the water is coming from, will that plug the leak? My guess is no. Thanks for any help.

#2 Kings over Queens

Kings over Queens
  • Way too many!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,642 posts
  • Joined: May-26 2003

Posted April 27 2007 - 8:44 AM

If the leak is at a connection you might be able to seal it by running some glue around it. Obviously, the right fix is to cut it out and redo it. If there is a crack in the pipe I'd cut it out and do it the right way. It's only PVC.

#3 Catch This

Catch This
  • Elite Member

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Joined: May-11 2006

Posted April 27 2007 - 9:10 AM

I agree, do it right...cut it out and replace it. You may patch it temporarily, but eventually you will spending more time and end up cuting it out anyway. Save yourself the aggrevation and cut it out now.


#4 Brian

  • Way too many!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,528 posts
  • Joined: Mar-16 2000

Posted April 27 2007 - 10:49 AM

You could use JB weld's Cold Weld on it. That will seal it; however, I'm not sure of the effect it would have on the pool water.

A whiter shade of pale....


#5 wmjack

  • Senior Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Joined: Oct-29 2004

Posted April 27 2007 - 1:07 PM


You didn't say whether the leaking joint is drain side or supply side.

Drain side connections can be repaired with knead-type marine epoxy--the two-part stuff that looks like a tootsie roll. I've got two such joints that have held tight over two decades.

If its supply side, I think you should replace the fittings.

Good luck,

#6 shbeachbum

  • 1,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Joined: Jan-17 2000
  • LocationPort Monmouth NJ

Posted April 27 2007 - 10:30 PM

PVC is so easy to work with that replacing the leaking piece is the way to go. You may spend more time and $$$$ trying to do a patch job (maybe several times). Do it right the first time and have more time to fish.

#7 moocks

  • 5,000 Post Club!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,938 posts
  • Joined: Jul-19 2004

Posted April 28 2007 - 12:04 AM

Cut and replace is best but if you could dry the joint some "wicking" type locktite joint sealant might work.

Two things in life I love. Fishing, and looking at the wifes picture on the milk Carton

#8 speedracer

  • Way too many!

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,604 posts
  • Joined: Sep-12 2005

Posted April 28 2007 - 2:46 PM

Is this a pressure system or a drain system? If its just water draining out somewhere you can use glue on the outside to fix it. If its a water pressure system you should cut it out and replace the pipe.

You're getting sleepy. ....very sleepy.....

#9 AZCatMan

  • Member

  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Joined: Jul-22 2007

Posted July 22 2007 - 12:26 AM

A new piece of pipe, properly glued back in place will last longer. do it right the first time or do it over.