How long does it take for a cracked rib to heal?

Rate this topic

Joe H

It's been 3 1/2 weeks and it still hurts. I know there's nothing that can be done so I didn't go to the doctor. It's not pain as much as discomfort. Sleeping is a real pain. Should I avoid physical activity until pain goes away or should I start some exersize to try and strengthen it. I don't want to reaggravate or lengthen the time it takes to heal. Any advice?

My boss was messing with me so I grabbed him in a semi bear hug without locking my hands, had food in them, and gave him a little squeeze. I heard 2 pops and let him go thinking I broke his glasses. Started gasping that he couldn't breath. Turns out I broke 2 of his ribs redface.gif . That was 15 years ago and he still tells me how bad it hurt.40.gif

I have a good idea what your doctor will say. Regardless if it is broken or bruised there is nothing to do other then try to treat the symptoms as best as possible while it heals. Healing time can be several weeks to many months. Take ibuprofen 800mg TID with food (that will help with the pain and inflammation). You can also take Tylenol 500-1000mg QID as well. Ice might work as well. Try to rest that area as best you can for the first month and then slowly advance yoru activity level. Go see a doctor if you have difficulty breathing, excessive cough especially if with blood or persistent fevers or chills.

Hope that helps

"They that go down to the sea in ships"