Home made Gaff

Rate this topic

John M

All right guys here's the place where i used to get bamboo poles for my lobster bouys, don't know if there still in business but here goes

Bamboo & Rattan Works its on Oberlin ave off of New Hampshire ave in Lakewood Industrial park off of rt 70. Guess it would be considered Lakewood?? phone #370- 0220 don't remember the area code but would guess its still 908.

Hope this helps.

Are you plagued bamboo also? We've got a stand behind our house that I do battle with every spring. I haven't bothered to try to make a gaff out of it yet, just because I've never really had the need for one. I may try to make one before cobia season this year. The older stuff tends to split though so it may take some looking for a good piece.

nope, its along the mountain bike trail i ride on, some pieces are like 15-20 feet tall cwm12.gif

life is short . play hard

I went a little crazy with mine. I got an old 10 ft blank and diamond wraped it all the way up. Eva foam split grips, and wraped 2 stainless picture frame hooks on so i can use a sling on it when im rock hoppin. Excentric maybe, but i like it becouse its allways with me when i am chasing a big fish around. You never know when you are going to be alone.

WORK ALL DAY, FISH ALL NIGHT, SLEEP WHEN YOU DIE.

Dont use the same bamoo you find growing in the woods by your house. It's not the same as Calcutta. Fisherman's supply in Pt Pleasant has it, but you can get it from Rattan Bamboo in Lakewood as Alaskan Steve said. I think they charge 9 dollars for a 16 foot calcutta pole in Lakewood. You can build a gaff for well under 20 bucks.