Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wildcard777

Night Smelt, Surf Smelt, Grunion?

37 posts in this topic

Up until last season, I've often heard, but never seen stripers chasing smelt

onto the surf as night. I actually saw it twice and was lucky enough to hook up twice. My questions are---1. Are these smelt spawning? Is there a difference between surf smelt, night smelt and grunion? Have any of you witnessed this event?

Thanks

My questions are---1. Are these smelt spawning? Is there a difference between surf smelt, night smelt and grunion? Have any of you witnessed this event?

Thanks

1. Are these smelt spawning?

Yes, they are.

2. Is there a difference between surf smelt, night smelt and grunion?

Yes they are different sub-species surf smelt (ie day smelt) night smelt, and grunion are different fish. Key is when or how they spawn.

3. Have any of you witnessed this event?

In the area in and near Pacifica, I have witnessed both day and night smelt. Grunion are a more southern fish.

Your next question.

4. have I caught stripers during these spawns also?

Yes! but not always.

Thanks Winch! Too bad I can't find a night smelt wooden swimmer anywhere.

If I recall correctly, these baitfish are very slender, have a brown/olive top

and a pearl/bone underside. If you know anyone who would be willing to create one for me, please send my way. I'll pay top dollar.

Chris. Is there a difference between night snipe and day snipe and what's the best time to hunt them. confused.gif

Night time, with a burlap sackbiggrin.gif

Thanks Winch! Too bad I can't find a night smelt wooden swimmer anywhere.

If I recall correctly, these baitfish are very slender, have a brown/olive top

and a pearl/bone underside. If you know anyone who would be willing to create one for me, please send my way. I'll pay top dollar.

the origonal floating Rapala with black top and gold/brown bottom are very similarto the grunion/night smelt. i throw 'em during the day and catch everything from stripers to calicos.

Chris. Is there a difference between night snipe and day snipe and what's the best time to hunt them. confused.gif

Ummmm hunt the night snipe at night and the day snipe ummmmm during the day tongue.gif That Would probably be key there moockswink.gif

Though sadly I believe the day snipe are on the endangered list. I would suggest you spend your time hunting during these long cold nights Moocks. wink.gif

Carry a good burlap sack and make sure you have your night snipe call down pact!!! Oh yeah make sure you take pictures.

Never seen Stripers chasing smelt but I've seen people out on the Sonoma Coast, Goat Rock Beach, that were netting them as they came in after dusk.

Never seen Stripers chasing smelt but I've seen people out on the Sonoma Coast, Goat Rock Beach, that were netting them as they came in after dusk.

those are grunion...great baitwink.gif

Sporty ,

Night smelt are almost "see through" in their apperance. Guys fry and eat them whole.

Sporty ,

Night smelt are almost "see through" in their apperance. Guys fry and eat them whole.

Winch

I'm half flip remember biggrin.gif My Grandfather use to Fry-em up in batter and we'dd scarf them down with Rice.

Winch

I'm half flip remember biggrin.gif My Grandfather use to Fry-em up in batter and we'dd scarf them down with Rice.

Hey who says you have to be any race to eat them that way.wink.gif My Italian grandparents used to eat them the same way.

That never bothered me, but them eating the urchins raw used to give me the Whillys.

Errk - I used to have to eat the raw urchin at certain special events when I lived in Hawaii. I tried to like it. I really tried...but I could never convince myself that I wasn't eating curdled egg yolks.upck.gif