Mantis shrimp

Rate this topic

Jayfish

I have had them in Italy. They are quite tasty. I have never seen them offered for sale in the States. However, I bet you can find them at an Asian market.

I'll bet you might...

However, in light of Fishweewee's search for spicy ass jerky, you have to wondercwm27.gif

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

I think they're delicious, had them at Jumbo Seafood Restaurant in Boston's Chinatown. Not sure if they are seasonal but I've read that the Chinese call them pissing shrimp since they urinate when cooked. I guess you can skewer or spear them prior to cooking so they purge their bowels.

If you go to Brooklyn Chinatown (50 something and 8th), there are about 3 seafood markets within a block. You will see thousands of LIVE mantis shrimp for sale. I've had them outside of Hong Kong, that island where they filmed a James Bond movie. Live tanks in the restaurants.

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

Different Chinatowns have different live fish products. Even in NYC, Flushing, Queens might have bluegills, Sunset Park, Brooklyn might have mantis shrimp, and Manhattan might have cod.

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

• 1 year later...

I hate to be a hippy but..

I've been keeping reef aquariums for years. And i have no problem with eating seafood. But as far as mantis shrimp goes, I'm very very fascinated with these creatures. I intend to keep one as a centerpiece for my living room, but not only to enjoy the massive power they possess, but to study them.

I think they make better pets than food

View PostI hate to be a hippy but..

I've been keeping reef aquariums for years. And i have no problem with eating seafood. But as far as mantis shrimp goes, I'm very very fascinated with these creatures. I intend to keep one as a centerpiece for my living room, but not only to enjoy the massive power they possess, but to study them.

I think they make better pets than food

Any pet is considered food some where.

:rav: Hello Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please.