Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
setayj

Bluefish cakes

13 posts in this topic

Lots of people don't care for bluefish. I'm not one of them. I enjoy catching them and I enjoy eating them fried when they are freshly caught. They don't freeze especially well and tend to become mushy. I find frozen bluefish to be less satisfactory for frying/broiling, but they are perfect for fishcakes. This is a recipe I found a couple of years ago on one of the Outer Banks boards. I have prepared it many times and always enjoy it. Personally, I leave out the Mayo and add an extra egg as needed for binding.

---------------------------------

JD'S BLUE CAKES

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound of Blue filets - cooked - shredded

DRY INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup of plain bread or cracker crumbs

1 tablespoon of Old Bay seasoning

1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

1 teaspoon dry mustard

WET INGREDIENTS:

2 eggs beaten

1/4 cup mayo

2 teaspoons of Worcestershire

INSTRUCTIONS:

Mix dry ingredients then add Blue meat and blend gently so as not

to break up meat lumps. Add wet ingredients and stir in gently.

Form into 8 cakes.

Heat 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine in a frying pan and

bring to a sizzle. Add cakes and reduce heat to medium (the butter

or margarine should be bubbling at the base of the cakes). Cook on

one side until golden brown then turn (add another tablespoon of

butter or margarine if necessary). Again cook until golden brown.

Serve with saltines, mustard and ice cold beer or your other

favorite beverage.

This is such a great recipe! Thank you so much, it is now a household standard. We've been catching so many Bluefish lately, that I've been making this recipe up in droves and freezing the patties for future dinners. I was dubious about eating Bluefish from the word on the beach, but anyone unsure should try this recipe and you will be won over. Thanks again!

1/4 cup of mayo and 2 eggs? For serious? That thing aint too wet? I find freezing bluefish works just fine for me. But I have a vacuum sealer.

New to cooking different ways (I am told my blackened striped bass and home made seasoned panko fluke are amazing trying to take it further). When you say "cooked bluefish" Boiled? Steamed? Baked plain? cooked however the hell I want?

New to cooking different ways (I am told my blackened striped bass and home made seasoned panko fluke are amazing trying to take it further). When you say "cooked bluefish" Boiled? Steamed? Baked plain? cooked however the hell I want?

Could be cooked however you want it, leftovers would work fine. But when cooking fish with the sole purpose of cakes most will poach aka slow simmer submerged in liquid.

Could be cooked however you want it, leftovers would work fine. But when cooking fish with the sole purpose of cakes most will poach aka slow simmer submerged in liquid.

Thanks,

Funny enough I was telling my girlfriend how Fish cakes are the next try. I have tons of frozen striped bass (I know I HAD CO-Workers begging for fish than bailed last minute) and have had blackened bass 4 nights and ka-bobs another and want to try something else

1/4 cup of mayo and 2 eggs? For serious? That thing aint too wet? I find freezing bluefish works just fine for me. But I have a vacuum sealer.

I make striper balls with basically the same recipe, mine useally is wet in which case I just break more crackers up till its a bit dryer.

Ahh, I use a bit less wet. I also like to add vegis to it. Cellery, onion, pepper, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley. I sweat the veg first then cool it and mix it in with the cool meat, egg, mayo and breadcrumb. The parsley goes in raw.

Never tried adding vegi's but it sounds like a good idea. One thing I will add is I dont fully cook the fish, basically I will poach it enough that it just starts flaking apart. If you cook it fully then fry it dries the fish out to much IMO. And the balls taste just as good cold the next day.

Never tried adding vegi's but it sounds like a good idea. One thing I will add is I dont fully cook the fish, basically I will poach it enough that it just starts flaking apart. If you cook it fully then fry it dries the fish out to much IMO. And the balls taste just as good cold the next day.

Never had the balls! Guess I've caught only females.

Never had the balls! Guess I've caught only females.

Next time you catch one lift up its anal fin and look.

Vegis are a great addition to the cakes. Could also throw in carrots, mushrooms or whatever. It will also allow you to make more cakes.

Basically the same recipe except i add a whole shallot and diced green bell pepper...cooked together and set to cool...I would imagine bluefish would make decent fish cakes.