Replacing 2-prong outlets with 3-prong outlets

Rate this topic

doyle007

My house was built in the '50s, and most of the outlets are two prong outlets. It's very inconvenient to have to find an adapter everytime I want to plug in something that requires a three prong outlet, and I would like to replace the exisiting outlets.

Now, I was reading an article on the This Old House website, and they said that replacing old receptacles with GFCI receptacles is a pretty easy process. Am I reading this wrong, or can I just buy a few of the new three prong outlets, and wire them in place of my existing two prong outlets? This would be great, although I've only worked on electrical projetcts twice in my life (a 2-pole dimmer switch and a new switch for the garbage disposal), and so far so good.

Before I tackle this job, I'd like to get some experienced opinions. Is this something that a complete electrical neophyte can do? I do know enough to turn the power off at the breaker box before I do anything, and I have two of the circuit detectors to confirm that there is no electrical current running thru the wires. I also have a bunch of wire nuts, and even the proper wire cutters/strippers tool.

By the way, if it shows up, here is the article from the TOH website.

5: No GFCIs

What it means: Increased risk of electrocution in wet areas, such as baths and kitchens. GFCIs (ground-fault circuit interrupters) shut down circuits in 4 milliseconds, before current can cause a deadly shock.

Code violation? No; grandfathered in. (Codes today require GFCIs within 4 feet of any sink and on all garage, basement, and outdoor outlets.)

Danger level: High.

Solution: Replace old receptacles with GFCIs (about $12 each). This is a simple job that many homeowners do themselves. Electricians charge about $20 per outlet. (There will likely be a minimum job charge.) Note: As an alternative, GFCI breakers ($25) can be installed on the main panel. But then every time one trips, you have to go down to the basement to reset it.

el200401_shock05.jpgspacer.gifspacer.gif

Illustration: Ian Warpole

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Well, it looks like I may have gotten ahead of myself. I didn't read the article all the way through, and I have just now come across the part about replacing two prong outlets. I was thinking that all three prong outlets are GFCI, but it looks like they aren't.

How do I test my wiring to see if it is capable of handling a three prong outlet?

9. Ungrounded (2-prong) receptacles

What it means: Your house's wiring has no way to safely conduct any stray current that escapes the confines of the wires.

Code violation? No; grandfathered in. (Today's code requires grounded circuits and receptacles.)

Danger level: Minimal, as long as you don't use an adapter to fit a three-prong plug into a two-prong receptacle. Doing so could destroy the device you're plugging in, and increase the chance of electrocution.

Solution: Replace two-prong receptacles with properly grounded three-prong ones, if wiring allows it (see �Old Wiring: Is It Safe?�). Also, test all existing three-prong receptacles with a GFCI circuit tester to make sure they're grounded. Rewire any that aren't.

el200401_shock09.jpg

Bunch of issues here.....

First, there is no need to buy GFI outlets.....you can just get regular 3-prong outlets. (Of course, by code, they are probabaly required in the bath and maybe in certain spots in the kitchen.)

That being said.....GFI won't give you any protection unless you have a 3-wire lead in the box.

You can wire the regular 3-prong outlets in the old box with a 2 wire sytem.....of course, you won't find a ground wire, but you just wire the two other wires up and leave the ground screw empty.....while the outlet and whatever you plug into it won't be grounded, that's no different than what ya got now.

If by chance you have a 2 wire system that are run thru metal armoured cable, you can attach a short wire from the ground screw on the outlet to a screw on the box, and then it will be grounded, so to speak. (Don't think that is effective with GFI's, though.)

Short of that, to really do it right if you have a two wire system, you will need to run new 3-wire Romex from the panel to the box. That can be easy, or it can be tough, depending on where the outlet box is, and where/how the existing wires are routed thru the walls......

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Doyle - Like Steve said. Look at what you have for wiring, built in the 50's I would guess you have BX (the corrugated metal jacketed wire). If you do, then your outlet boxes are grounded by this metal jacket. If that's the case, you just need to hook the 2 wires to the 3 prong outlet and screw it into the box, screwing it into the box will ground the outlet to the box.

As Billybob said, that's most likely what you've got. Our house is wired that way and I've changed out all the receptacles to the three prong type. Pick up a simple little tester like this for a coupla bucks...

It'll let you check polarity and whether or not you have a good ground.

Joe:

Changing outlets is pretty easy, probably about the easiest job you CAN do in home improvement (as I'm slowly learning with my own house) cwm12.gif . Best bet is to put ground faults in everywhere if you can afford it, especially with that little squirrel running around... tongue.gif Or, at least put them around wet areas, and fill in the rest of the house with standard grounded sockets.

No need for a kick in the pants beatin.gif when you least expect it!

ARGH!!! You've given up yet another secret spot!!!!!!!

Code places GFIs anywhere within 6' of a water source.

Kitchen, bath, outdoors (you can move a hose or be standing on wet ground!!) and I think that covers it.

If you are not sure the GFI will work with your wiring, install one and try the trip (test) button. If it clicks off, you are all set.

BTW, don't skimp and use the cheap Homies or Lowes stuff. Go to an electrical supply house. A good regular grounded receptacle, should run a few bucks at least, not $0.97.

Be careful and good luck icon14.gif

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

BassNutsDon't GFI's have to be the first receptacle in the circuit?? Otherwise they're pretty much useless?? That's the impression I get. Can someone here verify that? Thanks.

It does if you use the "feed thru" type receptacle and wire it correctly. These GFI receptacles have a "line side" and "load side" and you basically need to install all "downstream" receptacles on the load side terminals. If you don't install them correctly, the GFI outlet will not protect the downstream receptacles. The other option is to install GFI receptacles wherever it's needed/required.

Bathrooms, garages, all exterior locations, crawl spaces, unfinished basements, kitchens receptacles serving countertops, laundry rooms, utility rooms, receptacles within 6-feet of any sink and boathouses are required to have GFI protection per the National Electrical Code, Article 210.8. However, nothing wrong with installing GFI receptacles above and beyond the requirement as long as it is done correctly.

If you have BX (metal sheathed ) electrical wire and a metal electrical box from the books I've read attach a ground wire to the ground on the receptacle and then attach that ground wire to the back of the metal electrical box via a screw in one of the holes in the back of the box.

If all the fish you dreamed of came into your creel by wishing, why think of all the joy you would miss then, there'd be no more fun in fishing.

GFCI's should not be installed in appliance circuits. Refrig', disposal, etc.

And yes, the first outlet should be GFCI. All others downstream will be protected. Stickers come with the GFCI to identify downstream outlets as GFCI protected.

I've found that the more outlets wired after the GFCI, the more likely to have phantom shut-offs. By adding multiple circuits whenever possible, the problem is minimized.

Joe:

Changing outlets is pretty easy, probably about the easiest job you CAN do in home improvement (as I'm slowly learning with my own house) cwm12.gif . Best bet is to put ground faults in everywhere if you can afford it, especially with that little squirrel running around... tongue.gif Or, at least put them around wet areas, and fill in the rest of the house with standard grounded sockets.

No need for a kick in the pants beatin.gif when you least expect it!

whether you have a ground to the outlet by way of a wire or the metal shielding, it is prudent to ground the outlet to the box itself...it may exceed code