OTG casting

Rate this topic

danix

Hi guys...wonder if anyone could help.

I've just bought a new 13ft daiwa surfcast in the pursuit of longer distances. Up to now I have been using a simple overhead cast but need to get further.

I have been practising the OTG cast and hitting 130yds max which seems pretty poor.

I use a 150g lead, with a fixed spool reel

my set up is as follows (numbers referencing a clock face)

I stand on the 6, my rod points to the 1 position, my lead is at the 5 position...I slowly turn towards my target and then as i begin to face the target I pump the rod over.

Unfortunately I am not hitting the distance I should be although I feel I am compressing the rod

The drop between the tip and my lead is approx 7ft.

I have looked at several sites illustrating the OTG but with different information....some say the lead should be at the 5 position, some say the 4 etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

this link will be of great info for you. The section on casting are very good. If the combo of position of hands, arms, and head are not in sinc, it throws off the en

tire cast. Good luck.

please do not link to other sites , thanks

Tin Squid
I hope there's a fish under all your casts

I found this diagram helpful in my set-up when I was getting it going.

For me now though I position the sinker to create a 90° angle at the rod tip; this allows the sinker to begin its travel right behind the tip and not swinging inside, trying to catch up, (note the intersection of "tip arc" and "lead arc" shown in the three-quarter view . . . at 90°, the lead starts outside and finishes outside, greater arc, greater speed, more distance!)

You will find you experience less ground interfence at 90° than the 45° +/- shown, the sinker gets up and away faster.

Hi-inertia-cast.jpg

When you set-up, keep your arms out from your body and begin your rotation with just your body from the hips first. Concentrate on, "leaving your arms behind" having your arms be the last thing that moves in the rotation . . . This is what creates the coiled spring effect and brings the numbers. If you are just swinging the arms over you are not using all ya got!

Youtube is great, do a search there for "OTG" and you will find videos of Tommy Farmer and Keith White, two of the strongest OTG guys out there now. You might even find one of me . . . OTG or OMG, I don't know yet!biggrin.gif

You can’t truly call yourself “peaceful” unless you are capable of great violence.  If you are incapable of violence, you are not peaceful, you are just harmless.

Danix - the drag across the ground is the time you have to load the rod, too slow is worse than too fast but....... You need to pick the lead up quite quickly, from here on is the difficult bit as you have to accelerate all the way from start to finish, slow down or keep the pull the same and you are screwed as the rod is not compressing. It is a fine line between too slow and too fast, but if you are snatching the cast and going left you are too slow.

A increasing rate of acceleration is the key - good luck - BB

well....

I gave it a go this evening but still only hitting 150yds...I have noticed more power using the lead to tip angle at approx 90 degrees, but I am missing something. The trajectory of the lead seems very high also.

I think I am generating the power through the turn but I think the final pump is lacking....but having said that there seems so much to think about and I feel that I am a long way off it being a natural casting motion.

• 1 month later...

Stormcaster

A well executed ground cast will outperform a bad or even a decent pendulum cast.

For me, all things being equal on a good day the pendulum gives 5-10% more distance. On a day that the pendulum is just not working well, I will sometimes throw the ground cast farther.

OTG is the fundamental cast.

Tommy

in your first post you said "bring the rod over".... you need to be thinking about bringing it around.. if you are starting from the correct position and still using the same path for the rod as that overhead thump you are really shortening the distance of the arc...

i literally gained 25 yards one day when someone just told me to flatten out the path of the rod...

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

Stormcaster

A well executed ground cast will outperform a bad or even a decent pendulum cast.

For me, all things being equal on a good day the pendulum gives 5-10% more distance. On a day that the pendulum is just not working well, I will sometimes throw the ground cast farther.

OTG is the fundamental cast.

Tommy

Thanks for the feedback. Generally I use the pend cast or a modified form.

Early to bed, early to rise, fish all day, make up lies. - unknown