g2h

who doesn't drink (alcohol) anymore?

11,507 posts in this topic

g2h,,,Youll find it hard to sleep for the first few days,After a week or so youll start haveing sugar cravings.If your like me and find coffea as a helping agent,try mixing decaf in with your regular and stop the sugar after 5 pm.I use nutra sweet.,,,Man i can go for a big nestle crunch about now,,take care,Chazclapping.gif

guys i'm trying to quit a demon that keeps getting the best of me. Who doesn't drink anymore on this site? how long haven't you drank? and how did you stop? what works? Work hasn't suffered yet, but home life is a different story. and it seems everything is taking a back seat to having a few..(quite a few)

I stopped October 8, 1992 I haven't drank longer than I have known my wife. I stopped cold turkey AA was not a great help to me I never did finish there 12 step program. my quiting had alto to do with me leaving the army only 2 months later. like cigarettes Alcohol becomes a need of your body so there is withdrawals but once you get past that its all mental. the thing that helped me the most is to remembering the bad things associated with drinking. It was easy for me because I lost 3 days of my life and almost my life to it so I have that memory.

day two. without any alcohol. tuff to sleep. been tossing and turning all night. thanks again for all the pms. and all the responses.

This is very common. It took me about six months before I really slept well. Just keep in mind that nobody ever died from lack of sleep, but alcohol kills plenty.

You might also find it helpful to get some hard candy to carry around with you; alcohol gets converted to sugar by your body, and the candy helps ward off cravings. Keep yourself well fed, well rested, involved with other people - don't isolate, it's a killer...

Keep up the day count, and PM if you get a craving - I hope this thread runs for a long time.

day two. without any alcohol. tuff to sleep. been tossing and turning all night. thanks again for all the pms. and all the responses.

Congratulations! Keep it up. You can do it. icon14.gif

you guys are incredible. thanks again. it seems like everything i do revolves around drinking. i've got 2 softball playoff games tonight. we drink after the games-always. can't remeber the last time i watched the sox without having a few. they are really horrible when you watch them sober.(they can't even beat the orioles?) got plenty of football to watch this sunday(a rare weekend day off). who am i kidding if i was washing the truck that's a good time to have a few.,doing dishes, helping with the laundry. but i'm noticing i don't feel like sh=t in the shower in the morning. i'm not saying to myself "why do i keep doing this?" i was 178lbs. when i walked into the store i'm running now. that was july of 2005 i'm at 205 right now.(beer) i know 2 of my really good friends- best friends that are alcoholics(one knows he is and is almost 1 year sober, the other says rehab is for quitters)funny, but sad really he's going thru a bad divorce, losing his home, living in an apt. rite now with a microwave cart(no microwave) and a inflatable mattress- and alot of empty beer cans. every time i go to hang out and listen and try to help i end up getting wrecked. i love the guy and would die for him BUT i can't keep going there if i want to stop and i truly do. I would always say "thank god i don't act like that" thank god i don't have an addictive personality, why do they always wanna fight when they drink?. i thought as long as i never crossed the line(like them) i wasn't an alcoholic. i'm a good guy when I drink, i'm a happy drunk. well in the past few years some lines have been crossed and this past year and few months have been a mess. when we were in our teens you'd hear about billy, or bobby getting killed in a freak car accident and you're like wow that really sucks, but it will never happen to me. well these friends of mine who have passed away close to my age are things that can happen to us/me NOW. i would never kill myself... but the cancers and the illness...jesus to my 12 year old daughter they were ancient. to me there MY age. very young too young to have passed. well anyway thanks for all your help and pms. they mean more to me than you'll ever know. day 3 clear head, no headache, except for the watery eyes i'm good. off to work.

Been a while, I think my fat asse needs to go to a meeting!

You yankees have weird meetingswink.gif, they last 90 minutes instead of an hourwink.gif.

Its been a bit strange moving from a major city to the sticks where there are like only 6 or 8 meetings a week in different places.

When I was sobering up in Atlanta there was an AA meeting within a 30 minute drive 24/7/365!

I used to joke with the "rehab is for quitters" quip. Till I put myself in one, wasn't so funny at that point.

Keep up the good work.

It is important to avoid people, places and things that you drank with or at.

Change is good.

Been a while, I think my fat asse needs to go to a meeting!

You yankees have weird meetingswink.gif, they last 90 minutes instead of an hourwink.gif.

Its been a bit strange moving from a major city to the sticks where there are like only 6 or 8 meetings a week in different places.

When I was sobering up in Atlanta there was an AA meeting within a 30 minute drive 24/7/365!

Really? in NJ, most AA meetings are an hour long, NA meetings are usually 90 minutes. Then again, it's all in the autonomy.

One of my favorite overheard lines: "my life started spiraling down faster than I could lower my standards." Seemed to fit how things were starting to go with me before I let go.

In the last few years, I lost two friends to ODs and one to an alcohol-induced suicide; the sad fact is, the older we get, the less our bodies are able to stand up to the abuse. I found myself doing things in my late 30s that were fun when I was 20, but sad and pathetic (and dangerous) in a man that age.

RnR is right - people, places and things that trigger drink signals need to be avoided. BTW, fewer people than you think are going to notice you not drinking. Of those, most will be happy you're quitting, 'cause they figured out a while ago what you're just figuring out now. Anybody who gives you sht is just bummed out because you're doing what they can't do themselves. Like a bucket of crabs, they see you getting out and will do whatever they can to pull you back down in there with them.

If you know you're heading into a situation where people are going to be drinking, and absolutely can't avoid it, then be sure to show up late and leave early. "No" is a complete sentence, and you don't owe an explanation about why you're not drinking to anyone but your family (and they already know, believe me).