Freezing sand fleas

Rate this topic

GOTTOG

Was thinking of gathering up some sand fleas and freezing them for the upcoming Tog season. Has anyone tried that before? Will they freeze well? I wish the fall run of something would start as all I can think about now are those slippery, snag devilsdevil.gif

Thanks in advance...

------------------

...ya gotta hook em to cook em...

got tog?

Team Goats

Gottog- Have never frozen sand fleas, only peeler crab.

As with most already soft or easily damaged baits, preparation is the key, everything had to be just right to get the crabs to be any good for bait when defrosted.

Blast frezzing is the best method, this virtually frezzes the bait instantly, though not that many people have one, suprise suprise, the next best thing is a quality frezzer, if possible wrap individually or in a small number.

Keep on ice until you are just about to bait up, will quickly defrost.

Well hope that helped, let me know if they are any good.

Tight Lines

Was thinking of salting the lil buggers as well. Maybe I'll try a few sample batches. Maybe even some frozen in a sheddar oil/salt brine, hmmm...

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input.

------------------

got tog?

Team Goats

I freeze left over sand fleas from a toggin trip all the time. Frozen fleas are definitely not the prefered option, but when you can't buy em in the store or there not in the surf, it sure is nice to have a batch in the freezer.

I rinse the fleas real good, throw out any cracked or mushy ones, dry them really good and freeze them in 2-cup containers. If you try to freeze them in large amounts, they take to long to freeze and don't hold up as good.

Some one told me to freeze them sumbmerged in water... havent tried it yet.

------------------

JAG

"A legend in my own mind"

<*)))))><

The secret to freezing SAND FLEA'S is indeed in the preparation Chris. The procedure is thus! You must first BLANCH the flea's in water, preferably with a little salt, prior to freezing. Devil in the simplicity. Not a necessity but I prefer SEA SALT. For presentation, a little food coloring Doesn't hurt.

------------------

The Scorp!

The Scorp!
A Fisherman without fish,
is like water without wet. Just don't feel right.

Scorpio -

I've tried the blanching method and found that I get more mushy ones that I do If I don't.

I've tried 3,then 2,then 1 mins and even 30secs.

How long do you leave them in the Boiling water?

------------------

JAG

"A legend in my own mind"

<*)))))><

Place the Sand Flea's in a strainer. Pour the hot water through them. Package them in a plastic bag, sandwich type, not full at all. Place immediately in freezer. Add coloring if desired. This should be done with firm, live, not dead limp partially soft sand flea's.

The Scorp!

The Scorp!
A Fisherman without fish,
is like water without wet. Just don't feel right.

I wonder what they taste like??? Maybe I'll do a lil taste test this weekend. Thanks again for the replies. maybe I'll be able to share some frozen lil buggers when tog season comes around.

------------------

got tog?

Team Goats