Need to find a source to buy some Propylene Glycol

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HatterasJack

HatterasJack
  • Way too many!

• 16,353 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 1:31 PM

as RnR outlined in the carpenter ants thread ...

any suggestions other than a Google for purchasing this stuff (non toxic anti freeze) in less than 55 gallon drums?

I've got a 150-200 year old house and some of the tree trunks in the basement could use some attention and now that I've learned about treating dry rot in wood, I wanna give it a try

"Boric acid when mixed with propylene glycol (non-toxic version of anti-freeze) has proven to be very effective against many types of termites. The glycol helps the solution to penetrate into the wood and become a part of the wood fibre. This solution is a terrific treatment for dry rot in wood."

suggestions are appreciated

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

#2 obxfisherman51

obxfisherman51

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 1:36 PM

i'll be by your shop next week am going to wally world in a bit .i think they have it in regular containers,will check for you .

#3 Brian

Brian
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,530 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 2:08 PM

I think Home Depot sells it in the solvent section.

A whiter shade of pale....

#4 MDTommy

MDTommy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 2:15 PM

Try a swimming pool supply store, it's usually available in 1 gallon jugs. It's what they use for antifreeze in the near ground level pipes during the winter. 8 years in the biz - I learned something.

#5 charloots

charloots
  • Shot Caller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,652 posts
  • LocationDesolation Row

Posted June 01 2006 - 4:17 PM

Jamaica Bay is lousy with it...that's aircraft deicer fluid.

#6 Joe

Joe
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,508 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 7:30 PM

Any marine supply store. It's used for winterizing boats & RVs

I am what I am. Someone has to be...

#7 Brewroom

Brewroom
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 7:35 PM

Beer distributors may also point you in the right direction as it is used as the refrigerant medium in draft line assemblies. I heard the price has soared in the last year. I hope it's not too bad because I'll need around 300 gallons this fall for a new brewery.

#8 Sudsy

Sudsy
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,304 posts
  • LocationOff the Hook

Posted June 01 2006 - 9:43 PM

It's also used 1 to 1 with distilled water to make the solution you use in a humidor.

I get it by the pint at my local independent pharmacy - gotta order it but it usually only takes a day or so.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way.

#9 HatterasJack

HatterasJack
  • Way too many!

• 16,353 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 8:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sudsy

It's also used 1 to 1 with distilled water to make the solution you use in a humidor.

I get it by the pint at my local independent pharmacy - gotta order it but it usually only takes a day or so.

wait a second ... you use it with distilled water in your cigar box?? That's a first for me Where did ya pick that tid bit up?

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan

#10 labrax

labrax
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 9:27 AM

Been using it in humidor for years as it helps to keep the 70% humidity regular. That and distilled water. Some thing that it is a carcinogen - but you are smoking after all. Got my pint at local Brooks drug store.