Is the Penn 113HSP the ONLY wire line reel?

Rate this topic

The 112H is good too but it has to have the metal spools, which they no longer make. The 113 is the only one Penn makes now with the chrome over bronze spool.confused.gif If you are lucky enough to have the metal spools you can have them stripped and re chromed. The alum. spools just don't hold up. The jigmasters I use also with the metal spools. For me the 113 is just to darn heavy. Paul

what's the secret word for tonight

• 1 year later...

Hello from Italy,

I'm inquire concerning a PENN reel for the use with wire line (MONEL wire)

The PEEN made reel HSP and HLW model but I don't understand very well what about the differences among them.

Can you help me ??

Thanking in advance

palamito

Palamito,

I think by "metal", the posters above mean either chrome over brass or stainless steel spools. The metal spools made of aluminum are no good for wire line - the dissimilarity of steel and aluminum causes corrosion problems.

HLW is the same as the H series but has a Wide spool

HSP refers to High Speed, Special Purpose - the newer 113 HSPs have a stainless steel spool and are perfect for wire line trolling.

Good luck!

Right on the HSP has a steel spool to resist damage from wire. I also use a Penn 49L which I think is better for wire because the narrow spooll keeps the wire and lead lines from twisting up. Penn does not make them anymore but you can find them around as trades or e-Bay