RI Clamming

Rate this topic

shady grady

Looking at the restricted areas on the DEM site. This so and so area closed from here to here during this time of year Etc. Man, it's a lot of work just to figure out what areas they are listing. I moved here two years ago and I have worn out my map book and charts looking for "fishy" areas. Looks like I have to do the same for "Shellfishy" areas.biggrin.gif

Just talking about clams is making me hungry.

Shady like Clammy!

The best part of trashing plugs is making more.

According to the DEM website:

May I take shellfish without a license?R.I. residents can take a resident shellfish limit recreationally without a license. Non-resident property owners and other non-residents must possess a recreational shellfish license

Don't see any exception for BI in there.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

It's not stated in the DEM regs. From what I've heard, the power to locally control shellfishing is stated somewhere in RI general Laws

Check out this link on the BI Times

http://www.blockislandtimes.com/News.../News/036.html

" You"™ll need a shellfishing license before you head out. Get it at the Harbormaster shack at the Block Island Boat Basin in New Harbor from 9 a.m. to noon and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Seasonal licenses for visitors cost $60, a monthly license $32, and a weekly license $20, a bargain considering what you"™ll likely get back. Island residents pay $15 for a year-round license. If you are caught shellfishing without a license by the warden, tickets are $30."

The fine seems a bit low, so maybe it's worth the chance

It's not stated in the DEM regs. From what I've heard, the power to locally control shellfishing is stated somewhere in RI general Laws

Well, considering that the RI consitution has a provision that all of the residents have a right to access the beach and harvest its bounty (or something like that) I seriously doubt that there is any law giving localities the right to restrict shellfishing by RI resdients. Considering the source of that info ( a journalist who probably didn't do much research into the subject) I'd stick with the DEM regs. But if I were going to go clamming on BI, I might stick a copy of those regs in my pocket, just in case.

BTW- the license fees she cites are about the right amount for non-RI resident licenses, but the Non-RI resident license that around the $20 mark is goof for 14 days.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

I work for the Harbor's department (out here) and you do need to have a license issued from the Harbormaster's shack or Town Hall, do I think residents of RI should have to get one No but that is beside the point. The Clam cops are pretty vigorous in thier pursuit so chances are that you'd get nabbed and written a ticket.

you guys should feel very lucky if you don't need a permit. mass is the complete opposite. we still live in the puritian times. way back in the early days the state gave the towns jurisdiction over their local waterways when it comes to shellfish, and up to a few years ago, herring as well. each town can charge whatever they want, within reason, and that fee allows you to harvest shellfish in that town only. if you aren't a resident, the state law allows towns to charge up to 5X the fee of a resident permit. most towns are in the range of 30 bucks for a resident fee, but that usually only gets you a peck of shellfish.

so feel lucky that you have those privlages.

When we judge or criticize another person, it says nothing about that person;
it merely says something about our own need to be critical.
-Author Unknown-

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just went quahoging over Memorial Day weekend with 4 other guys and we got close to 1 1/2 bushels in a little over 4 hours. Needless to say the water was cold but it was well worth the effort. My family still lives in RI but unfortunately I don`t. Will be renting a house in Narragansett in a few weeks and hitting the clam grounds daily. It beats laying on the beach.

If you need a good rake, check out ribbrakes.com. They are located on the Cape and make quality product.

Keep on clamming

I go every year for steamers although its more of a relaxing time because for the amount I take I pay more in gas, LOL

I believe the limit for non comm for steamers is 2 gal per person per day .

I have yet to eat 2 gals of the things. Thats with me and the MRS.

As far as the plunger goes.

Pick up your run of the mill plunger if it has a rubber cone at the bottom I cut mine off.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a replacement broom handle I use the type with the metal threads that are crimped onto the end of the handle.

Remove the short handle from the plunger insert the "back-saver" broom handle ,

Take a 1 1/2" metal hose clamp and fix it so the clamp "clamps down" over the handle and the plungers female end That way your not about to mess with your setup if your handle pulls free of the plunger.

View Posthow exactly do you work a plunger when clamming?? do you plunge the mud? Im confused.

Yes.You use it IN the water,not on the bank.It works better with two plunger heads.One six inches above the other.You use the plunger to basically dig a hole,the current moves the mud outta the way,then you scoop out the hole with your hands or a crab net on the other end of the broom handle.

It wouldn't pay you more to walk on water,than to wear a crown of thorns,

It wouldn't pay me more to bury you rich,than to bury you poor...