Stain Removal from Teak Wood

Rate this topic

fishchile

My sister in-law just paid a bunch of money for some teak patio furniture. Looked great until the kids got buttered corn and chicken grease on it. To me the wood looks unfinished, except in the greasy stain areas. Any suggestions for stain removal and protective coating. She likes the natural color of the wood and did not care much for my suggestion of covering the entire set with teak oil.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Nick did not like to fish with other men on the river. Unless they were of your party, they spoiled it." Ernest Hemmingway, "Big Two Hearted River (1925)

Wash with a solution of TSP (tri sodium phosphate) and flush with fresh water. You can find TSP at most good home stores and paint suppliers. Remind your sister that the teak will turn silver grey as the days wax on. Ya might want to clean with teak cleaner and oil it after all! smile.gif

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

I use a 1:4 mixture of bleach to water to wash down the furniture in the spring, and then teak oil to seal the wood. Get yourself a sponge wrapped in cloth applicator to apply the oil, it'll be much faster than using a brush or cloth.

America, the country so great that even its haters refuse to leave. 

Get yourself a sponge wrapped in cloth applicator to apply the oil, it'll be much faster than using a brush or cloth.

icon14.gif Definitely!!

P.S. If ya go with the bleach, wash it off very well to remove all the residue before oiling.

Good advice Wayne... I forgot the wood is in a raw state right now.

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

Oil is a PITA - you'll have to re-do it a coupla times each season to keep it looking decent. And varnish won't stick to teak.

If she wants a 'wet-look' finish that'll last and is easy to maintain (touch up once a year or so), I recommend "Armada" or Cetol Marine. icon14.gificon14.gif