Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

rack for a bike for canal fishing where can i get one?

13 posts in this topic

hey guys my last post was edited but what i'm looking for is a rack that goes on my bike, not truck. i fish the canal alot i see guys with wire baskets, pvc pipe and 2-3 poles in tow. i was just wondering if i can buy something like that or do i have to make something like that. and if i do just a little knowledge on how would be great. thanks alot. smile.gif

G2H,

Benny's on the Cranberry Highway has them, the bike place on 28 accross the Bourne had them. Most bike shops have them. They're called "Newspaperboy baskets" and around 30-45 bucks a piece. Definately want those styles as they straddle the tire and increase stability.

I got one, then took some PVC tubing and cut them to about 3 feet and the tops at a 45 degree angle. I used hose clamps to attach them. Then you can trick them out with all sorts of stuff....I have a leader dispenser, and a keeper line for when I bleed a fish out.

Good luck and have fun!

donsbike1.jpg

bennys and walmart have em. look for the larger of the two. the one in the photo is the larger one. i have a smaller one on my bike. you can fit much more with the larger one.

pic is worth a 1000s words .did you ever read the artical in OTW on canal cruisers june 1999? good info for new guys setting up.

is this a SOL no-no, its not fishin related, hey maybe the SOL store should start carryin these biggrin.gif

**link removed - commercial means they sell products or advertising...doesn't matter if it's fishing related products or hang gliders HappyWave.gif TimS

[ 03-02-2006, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: TimS ]

I also use my bike on occasion for fishing so i bought a rod holder that you mount on bow rail and attached it to the front fork. With this set up you can adjust the angle and be aware of low branches. Only works with shorter butted rods, I carry the accessories in a back pack. Good Luck.

are they pretty standard? will if fit on a mountain bike?.. thanks for all the info. esp. clammer great pic. gives me some ideas anyway. off to bennys friday morning before work. thanks again to all, great help.

If your planning to put a basket and rod holders on your bike I highly recommend you get a rear wheel kick stand, also sold at Benny's or at any bike shop. It will help prevent tip overs when parked and will prevent broken rods and broken rod guides in the event you leave rods in the bikes rod holders.

Another way to stabilize your bike, albeit less costly, is to utilize a wooden stick, one end of which is notched and fitted against the wire basket and the other end on the ground.

I believe Crazyclammer has one as shown in his photo above.

Joe G

P&M Cycles, directly across from the railroad bridge in Bourne, has exactly what you're looking for. Just ask for baskets to outfit a canal bike. They'll know what you're looking for. Cost is about 40 bucks if I remember correctly.