• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LIStriper

LIStriper
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted March 18 2003 - 3:27 PM

I remember seeing in some pickups a cot that attaches to the bed rail, but can fold up and out of the way.
I have tried all of the usual suspects to find one (Bass Pro, Cabellas) but struck out.
I have no interest in building a plywood box contraption for the bed as a substitute.
Any info as to who sells or makes them is appreciated.
Thanks
------------------
LIStriper

LIStriper|00000027

"vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"

#2 hook521

hook521
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted March 19 2003 - 10:11 AM

LIS -
I believe Cabela's had 'em. How about J.C. Whitney or perhaps Campmor???????
Hooky

LIBBA 521 - MSA 521 - ASC Go Atlantic!

#3 LIStriper

LIStriper
  • Elite Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted March 19 2003 - 10:20 AM

No, no & no.
Tried surfing and searching on the net too.
Checked Cabellas & Bass Pro back 3 years, nada.

------------------
LIStriper

LIStriper|00000027

"vir prudens non contra ventum mingit"

#4 Ed J

Ed J
  • Meat Minnow

• 9,701 posts

Posted March 19 2003 - 10:42 AM

How about some ½†or ¾†plywood A piano hinge & some hooks? Or was what you saw that much better?
I'm kinda on the fence about a cap for my P/U and am interested too .

------------------
Ed J
EdJ@StripersOnline.com

#5 hook521

hook521
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted March 19 2003 - 11:03 AM

LIS -
Look at tentsontrucks.com Looks similar but doesn't seem to hinge up.
Two buddies use a number of milk cases with a carpet covered, hinged sheet of plywood on top as a foundation for a bunk. The milk cases create under the bunk storage.
Hooky

LIBBA 521 - MSA 521 - ASC Go Atlantic!

#6 gadwall8

gadwall8
  • Way too many!

• 18,860 posts
  • LocationUneverheardofitstan

Posted March 22 2003 - 10:31 PM

I my plywood and milk crate "contraption
It weighs about 40lbs without the 4 crates so it's not a big deal to slide it out if I need to do some hauling. Aside from keeping stuff organized and out of sight, my bed is always ready for my tired bones. Which is nice
gad

"I came into this world naked, screaming at the top of my lungs, and covered in someone else's blood. I got no problem leaving it that way."

#7 Mullet Miller

Mullet Miller
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• 4,602 posts

Posted March 24 2003 - 1:20 PM

Hey LIstriper,
If you have a Costco warehouse store nearby, check them out. The one here by me in Delaware has a fold up cot that is over 24" wide and 6' long. folds up and stores in a little bag like those camp chairs everyone has now. What's nice is it is only $25. I know it isn't what you are looking for but I could not pass up the deal. If you can't find them PM me.
Bob

#8 surfwatch

surfwatch

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 9:36 PM

This Roll-A-Cot is by far the best truck/van cot bed I have ever seen or used. It is very sturdy lightweight aluminum and strong material. It spans over the wheel wells plus you can also use it in a tent or in your house. It leaves plenty of storage room underneath unlike inflatable truck beds.

#9 speckhunter80

speckhunter80
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,620 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 12:49 AM

I remember seeing in some pickups a cot that attaches to the bed rail, but can fold up and out of the way.

I have tried all of the usual suspects to find one (Bass Pro, Cabellas) but struck out.

I have no interest in building a plywood box contraption for the bed as a substitute.

Any info as to who sells or makes them is appreciated.

Thanks

------------------
LIStriper

Cabela's used to sell them. You could mount one on each rail and it folded in the center. No one does anymore that I can find. I have been looking myself. Years ago I mounted a metal military spring bed frame on hinges to my bed rail and raised it up and fastened it to the underside of the aluminum camper shell. It hung at a 45 degree angle.

#10 mericanwit

mericanwit
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 7:46 AM

Go with the air mattress, your back will love you for it...

#11 Eisey

Eisey
  • 1,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 8:20 AM

Replacement cushions for folding lounge lawn recliners. 4-6 inches deep. rolls up out of the way, or just lays flat. they are weather resistant and a sleeping bag in the fall, good to go.

bob eisey,
LIBBA 1002, MSA 295

#12 BrianBM

BrianBM
  • Way too many!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,939 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 7:13 PM

This sort of thing is the best argument for a P/U rather then an SUV that I know. There comes a point at which you just can't be happy after sleeping in a "captain's chair" in an SUV, even a good SUV, and happiness means sleeping stretched out at full length. A cap on a full size bed affords all kinds of luxuries that matter a lot to older bones.

#13 BassNuts

BassNuts
  • 5,000 Post Club!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted May 12 2010 - 6:09 PM

This sort of thing is the best argument for a P/U rather then an SUV that I know. There comes a point at which you just can't be happy after sleeping in a "captain's chair" in an SUV, even a good SUV, and happiness means sleeping stretched out at full length. A cap on a full size bed affords all kinds of luxuries that matter a lot to older bones.

I'm 6'-3" and sleep fully stretched out in the back of my SUV...fold the back seats up and there's plenty of room. Tempur-pedic type matress back there along with a cheapie BPS sleeping bag, and I'm set to go...nice, warm and comfy, without having to worry if my cap will leak

CC