• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cliffblair

cliffblair

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 12:20 PM

After reading all the good stuff about Mr. Wiggly I thought I would order a 1 oz for schoolies and large mouth bass, then I saw the price with shipping is almost $26.00...I can't imagine a one ounce plug being that valuable...any opinionss from users?????

#2 valentine

valentine

1,000 Post Club!

• BST Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 12:59 PM

I know that it seems like prices for wooden plugs are getting out of hand, but when you stop and think about it, what would you have to charge for a hand made plug that would still make you a profit? I know that the Mr. Wiggly's are made overseas, but they are still carved by hand.That kind of hand labor costs $$$$. Imagine what you'd be paying if that same lure were made here in the USA? I don't think Tony Stetzko or any of the other lure makers like HABS or **** are trying to rip anybody off. If they could put their products in your hands for less money, and still make a profit, I think they'd do it. Remember that these guys love to fish themselves, and pricing things too high keeps people out of the sport that they love. If you ever see a Valentine plug out there, trust me, I've put more than $26 worth of my time into it.
Valentine

#3 TimS

TimS

Way too many!

• Administrators
  • 80,111 posts
  • LocationShark River Hills, NJ

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:01 PM

It's a $19.99 dollar plug, the shipping is the same if you order 1 or 10...but if you order 10 then they are only $20.59 each

Considering that many folks pay $20 for a needlefish, yes, Mr. Wiggly is easily worth $20 - it's a unique lure that will catch fish other plugs won't. It's jointed, wired through with a lexan lip - a whole lot more to it's manufacture than a needlefish

TimS

-

-

-

-

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.
We love our stripers - please don't take more than yah need.

#4 cliffblair

cliffblair

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:06 PM

I am not talking 'rip off" I am asking about value. Is Mr. Wiggly such a good fish catcher that is is worth that much?

#5 Fish Wish

Fish Wish

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cliffblair:
I am not talking 'rip off" I am asking about value. Is Mr. Wiggly such a good fish catcher that is is worth that much?

Yep
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin (1819-1900)

#6 Tomasas

Tomasas

5,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,405 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cliffblair:

yep
"Because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns and the ones we don't know we don't know." Donald Rumsfeld

#7 keeperreaper

keeperreaper

Elite Member

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:42 PM

Valentine,
If I'm not mistaken Tony Stetzko makes the Mr. Wiggly and hand carves them here in Massachusetts not over seas. Also, they are well worth the money. Trust me they catch.

#8 TimS

TimS

Way too many!

• Administrators
  • 80,111 posts
  • LocationShark River Hills, NJ

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by keeperreaper:
Valentine,
If I'm not mistaken Tony Stetzko makes the Mr. Wiggly and hand carves them here in Massachusetts not over seas. Also, they are well worth the money. Trust me they catch.

Keeperreaper, I believe the very first ones were carved here, but that was before they were being offered for sale. All the Mr. Wiggly lures that have been offered to the public recently are made overseas

TimS

-

-

-

-

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.
We love our stripers - please don't take more than yah need.

#9 keeperreaper

keeperreaper

Elite Member

• Users
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 01:56 PM

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

#10 glassguy

glassguy

• Users
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 03:23 PM

They are manufactured in the Phillipines, I believe.

#11 cliffblair

cliffblair

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 05:04 PM

Guess i will have to give one a try...1 oz for schoolies and LMB. Whats the best color for daytime into dusk?????

#12 IronMike

IronMike

5,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 07:06 PM

Mr. Wiggly rocks, probably one of the best broken backs ever made by one of the best artists and people ever made - Tony.
You Never Know How Strong You Can Be, Until Being Strong Is Your Only Choice

#13 cliffblair

cliffblair

• Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted April 03 2004 - 08:43 PM

Tim...tried to respond to you email, but your box is full...new email adress for me is cliffblair@comcast.net I tried to change my profile, but just got confused...old age!

#14 JimD

JimD

1,000 Post Club!

• Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:40 PM

Awesome lure designed by an awesome fisherman/guy!
Try the pink 1 oz. for spring weaks.

JimD
JimD
SOL #38

Back to Main Forum · Next Unread Topic →