Scup lures?

Rate this topic

EdC

Fishing for scup is one of my favorite pastimes when I'm on vacation in Bristol, R.I. I usually use sandworms or squid for bait. Just for fun, the last few times I've tried to use lures, like small white marabou crappie jigs, but no luck. Anyone out there have any success with lures for these tasty little fish?

I used to fish North Fork partyboats for scup. At some point in the season, they hit CT waters, very deep, and the scup run bigger. Anyway, it is a pain in the butt to reel up and replace stolen bait, so i used 1/8oz white bucktails in lieu of porgy hooks. I sweetened them sometimes, but not always. Dropped to the bottom with a 10oz sinker and jigged. Worked pretty good, but some of the scup used to straighten the hooks!

Your boy is going to be a big flop in Washington, and I can't wait till it happens.-Rocky Rhodes
Mccain is weak, lame and a poor choice for President-JimP

I also have done the North Fork porgy thing, there were all kinds of pelagics tearing up bait around us so I started casting assorted metal. Every time the jig got too close to the bottom I caught a giant porgy.

Is it too much to ask to just breathe, be able to walk and go fishing?

I've caught them on the North Fork of LI while fishing for stripers using small epoxy flies or small clousers on a flyrod.

I wonder if there is anything they won't take. I remember catching monster porgies, a couple of years ago, while blackfishing with green crab bait.

Spigola

heart.gif porgies, but haven't caught one in a few years. They almost seem to have disappeared from NJ inshore waters.

You've got to be kidding! The bottom is paved with them from the middle of LI to ME. Huge ones too. If they ain't in NJ I'll be very suprised.

====Mako Mike====
Makomania Sportfishing
Pt. Judith, RI

In 02 there were so many giant porgies in raritan Bay it was silly..could catch several hundred a day if ya wanted. They were there this year as well but not in the same numbers, never came all the way into the bay but out by the VZ and over the inshore wrecks, slaughter