mahogany clams?

Rate this topic

I saw these at stop and shop today. They were like 4 lbs. for 2 bucks. Has anyone ever tried them for roasting or half shell. I love littlenecks and these look the same size but I find the price to good to be true. I didn't buy them today because i needed clams for party, and did not want my friends to be guinea pigs. Lets here your thoughts on them. Thanks, Dave

------------------

Dave Collinsupload.gif

I've bought em twice and didn't like them both times. I used them in a gumbo and in a Zuppa de Pesce (sp?). Both times I found them to have a stronger, fishier flavor and a lot of sand.

Spook, do you think I just got some bad ones? How do you prepare them???

------------------

"Any time a man ain't fishin' he's fritterin' away his life." - Rancid Crabtree

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 2 weeks later...

They are good in sauce......I throw some in when I make "NJ style" mussles marinara (Hot type!).....just make sure they are all fresh (closed) when you buy them......definately are cheap enough.....

[This message has been edited by STEVE IN MASS (edited 07-09-2002).]

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

• 6 years later...

I had them just the other night, as they were on sale for $1.99/lb. They are good in marinara sauce with mussels, but I wouldn't eat them on the half....

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174