Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Blackfish Recipes

27 posts in this topic

I read many of these posts and they all have a common thread running through them. Add as many spicy and flavorful ingredients as you can  to kill the flavor of the fish, then it really tastes good. Tautog needs no help in this regard.

I read many of these posts and they all have a common thread running through them. Add as many spicy and flavorful ingredients as you can  to kill the flavor of the fish, then it really tastes good. Tautog needs no help in this regard.

That is kinda funny, cause I find that tautog have little flavor.

On the other hand, I cringe when people want to cover up or remove the "fishy" flavor of something like bluefish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in Mass View Post

On the other hand, I cringe when people want to cover up or remove the "fishy" flavor of something like bluefish.

If you don't do anything to it like soak in milk or take the red parts out and use a heavy handed sauce a bluefish will still have great flavor.  That's why it's the best fish of all time :)

I smoked some tog a few weeks ago and it was great! It didnt last too long when i brought it in to work...

I just brine it in some salt/sugar water with some spices, which takes a few hours but I let it go for a day sometimes.

Then smoke it for a bit and thats it! Its pretty good and its easily modifiable.

Our favorite way to prepare blackfish is to bake the whole fish in a crust of salt ...

We add whatever fresh herbs we want (thyme, rosemary, bay, parsley ... OR ...  Garlic, lemongrass, galanga, kaffir lime leaf ... OR ...  any herbs you want) to the cleaned gut cavity.  We apply a thick layer of the salt crust to the baking platter, set fish on top,  and completely cover the entire fish with a thick layer of the salt crust -  the entire fish must be covered! The crust is made of salt with egg whites (used as the binder for the salt...ratio of 1 egg white per pound of salt).  The fish is then baked at 425 until done (about 30-40 minutes for a 3-4 pound whole tautog).  The salt crust seals in all the natural juices and all the delicious subtle flavors of the blackfish and does NOT create a very salty result.  The herbs in the cavity also add a subtle flavor.  Just be sure to be careful when you "crack" the crust after baking to be sure you remove all the salt crust before serving or you WILL have a very salty result...... This also allows us to utilize every morsel of the meat, some of which is lost in the filleting process of blackfish.  All the flavors are locked-in this way, including the flavors added by the fish being baked whole, with the bones ............  This method also allows a bit more flexibility in cooking timing, as it makes it more difficult to dry the  fish out since all the juices are locked in..... It also makes quite the presentation!!!!!    

I am laughing Steve. Do you remember how long it took you to convince me to eat Bluefish after not eating them since I was a kid! It took you, the foodehs and one of the Jersey guys to feed them to me as fish cakes! Some fish I do not like the fishy.

Personally, I like to steam it in the wok with vegitvables (peas in this case)

just toss the whole blackfish into the wok after adding water, cover and steam in about 30 minutes

This is Olive Oil, Shallots, Onions, fresh Snow Peas, Soy Sause in the wok with a touch of deli mustard, then lay the fillets over and cook on high heat in the wok

Heat and eat !!

Honestly my favorite is baked with crushed ritz butter salt pepper and terragon

My mouth just started watering putting those words together lol