Sandy Hook Surf

Rate this topic

iago

If the weather is nice in a couple of weeks I'm going to go to Sandy Hook to fish the surf. I'm looking for tips as I've never been there.

Where should I go? I'll be with my six year old son and my wife so it needs to be easy to walk to and safe. I want to catch some fish, but I don't really care what kind we just like to look at them and throw them back.

Where should I stop to get bait/rigs?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Don

Welcome Iago!

It'll still be early in April for the surf action.

You might want to try the bay side of the hook.

Any tackle store in the area will be able to help you out and make a nice outing for you and your family. You might have a shot at out-going flounder on the bayside as well.

Great thanks I'll stop there. Oh does JoeA have any good stuff, I'll bring my crowbar...

Don

The Tackle Box on rte 36, about 2 miles after you get off at exit 117 is a safe bet for what you will need.

It will be on your right hand side, or you can go to JoeA's house and rob him it's also on the way.

ochit cwm31.gif My favorite is a mahogony dresser that I drop from the third floor window onto any unsuspecting prowler's heads hammer-time.gif The place is alarmed and police response is FAST, just ask my in-laws cwm27.gif Oh yeah, Cujo ain't been fed for a few weeks biggrin.gif

Seriously, welcome Iago. The bayshore will give you better odds at catching at this time. Not sure what kind of rod & reel you'll have, but things could get pretty interesting if your gear is too light icon25.gif There will be bass and maybe some bluefish around if the water temps ever get up enough. Can't go wrong with clams and bunker chunks at that time. You can PM me for more particulars and make it a good family experience.

---JoeA

Roger that DJ, iago if you didn't read or believe DJ's post you should have. Make your plans for the Hook a few weeks later. Theres many places you can bring your wife and 6 year old along Raritan Bay, they won't confuse it with a tropical setting but 6 year olds and beaches always work.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM