BST Users
  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Marcel_Karssies

  • Rank
    1,000 Post Club!


  • Interests (Hobbies, favorite activities, etc.):
    Flyfishing Salt and Fresh, Fishing in general
  • What I do for a living:
    Engineering (refrig. / airhandling / drying)
  1. The fly ... championship caddis from Fulling Mill ...
  2. The beer was a new addition to the menu, Grevensteiner Westfälisch Hell Landbier from the Veltins brewery. Although the Asperagus season was at an end I could still get the Risotto with Asperagus and the Pizza like Flammkuchen also with Asperagus. One of my favorite appetizers is and has been the onion soup served in a stone bowl and topped with a piece of bread and molten cheese. The location of the hotel right on the river with the beer garden and the drying room to store your wading gear at the end of the fishing day makes this location just perfect.
  3. My friends always organized an annual meeting at the beginning of the year to plan various road trips to go fishing. The idea of matching schedules to eventually find common ground seemed nice but alas more often then not when a date was due nothing tended to be organized. So it happened that at one club meeting just prior to a planned trip my friend Wiebe and I were the only ones present at the meeting … the rest … no word from them. Wiebe asked me if I had heard anything from them about the planning but no … nothing was clear. One of the destinations discussed was the Wenne river and as I knew that it was a mighty popular spot I remarked to Wiebe that it would be prudent to take immediate action. I contacted the local hotel and as expected the place had no vacancies left. The options given were to go one week earlier or one day later than the planned date. I discussed the situation with Wiebe and made a reservation for the day later under the condition that I could get time off from work. I received the go ahead from my manager so the road trip was a fact. We would leave for our destination on a very hot and sunny Saturday afternoon. The river was at the lowest level of the year but we knew that it would still be a worthwhile place to visit. We arrived at the hotel around dinner time and after a meal we went to the river to check out the fish. Just was expected the fish were rising aggressively so al signs were green for the first fishing day. On Sunday after breakfast we went both our ways and had an excellent time on the river fishing with dry flies, nymphs and streamers. The pools that held fish on previous visits did not disappoint. Most fish were brown trout but I also managed a quite decent rainbow trout and as bonus sometimes a grayling. Our hotel “Landgasthof Seemer” was perfectly located on the river and our port of call during the midday break when we had lunch in the beer garden (in waders). After a short midday fishing session we would again hit the beer garden for dinner and then fish until sunset to get the most out of the evening rise. Monday was the last day of the trip and as the catering staff of the hotel was off duty on Mondays and Tuesdays the only thing served to us was breakfast. Our plan was to fish until 17:00 hours in the afternoon and then hit the local Pizzeria to end our fishing trip in style. The weather was hot and with no clouds in the sky the river turned into a public swimming pool for the kids of the village. Luckily we could still find some solitude and fish to make it all worthwhile. A bonus was the steady breeze that at least kept the temperature down when you were wading in the river. The midday session was slow as the insect activity was minimal probably because of the strong wind but at least some fish came to the net. We assembled at the designated time and packed in our gear to head to Toni’s Pizzeria were we had a good meal before heading home. It was a short trip but all in all a very good one and something we must sure do again this year.
  4. To give you an idea how hot is was ...
  5. Just back from a short trip and it was pretty good. Hot, sunny and low water but thank god of that invention called beergarden :-)
  6. Yes, I ate ... please forgive me for not posting any food pics. I will try to make it up as I have planned a short road trip to trout river this weekend where the caterting is always as pleasant as the fishing and scenery.
  7. The weatherforecast for the weekend was not that good considering the fact it was nearly summer. A strong breeze and rather low temperatures made it look more like fall. No blue skies but clouds and now and then some sprinkles or rain. As I had not visited the chub spot for a long time that would be my first port of call for this day. I did made a stop at a weir but the water was shallow due to lack of decent rainfall and fish were few and small. The chub spot was equally shallow but some fish could be spotted. I managed a dace and a small chub, the bigger chub were spotted but I just could not get near them to make a decent cast. The dry fly was the weapon of choice for these low water conditions. As the open spots did not yield any more fish and the banks were by now overgrown with huge nettles and thistles I opted to head to the forest and scout for trout instead. After I few smaller dace and trout I finally hooked a somewhat larger fish from a pool were I had seen a trout before. This time I did manage to hook the fish and was quite surprised that it was a rainbow trout. Not the largest on record but it did put a good bend it the rod. On my last visit I thought the mayfly hatch was over but surprisinly on this dull day the mayflies were out in force. Unfortunately the fish were not rising, only the yellow wagtails had a field day.
  8. I am very sorry to hear you are not well, wishing you all the luck of the world!
  9. The English chap who modified the kit rod has a youtube vid of the rod ... explains it I guess. I think the original kit comes with handle and reelseat already installed. When I was fishing at the rivers inflow into the reservoir the reelseat came off so the reel ended up on the bottom of the reservoir together with the reelseat. It was not that deep but the silt and wave action made it difficult to see the reelseat ... the reel was caught quickly. I put the rod or what was left of it on the riverbank together with my other fishing stuff and tried to find the discarded hardware. Luckily the slow flow of the water moved the stirred up silt downstream so I could see the golden parts shimmering in the sunlight ... reminded me of a scene of lord of the rings :-) Found all parts and with the help of some leaves I temporarily fixed the seat, my buddy who builds rods is going to make sure this time all parts stay put....
  10. It took some planning but we managed to get to the Harz mountains once again. Part of the problem was that I had to get time off from work and as I had recently switched employers I did not want to start my first day at work with asking for free time even though this trip had been long in the planning. One major hurdle was the fact that our interpretation of off season did not reflect the reality of life meaning all the hotels near the river where booked. So we ended up in the town of Braunlage quite a distance from the water meaning every day a 25 minute commute along a country road winding though little settlements in the mountains. My buddy had booked the hotel and soon saw the errors of his ways as it had no opportunity for our usual drinks after the fishing sessions usually after 21.00 hrs in the evening. At the first evening we went into town for some beers but at the first pub we were only able to get one round before they kicked us of the premises because they closed early. Luckily thanks to the power of Google I had found an Italian restaurant that stayed open a little later so the second round was still a possibility. The way back to the hotel was an uphill battle … literally as the road seemed to be build at an 45 degree angle … we always joked we needed an extra beer just to account for the sweat lost while climbing the hill. The fishing … not as good as usual due to the very low water table but we still managed to catch our fair share of fish and had as usual tons of fun. Weatherwise the afternoon thunderstorms caused us to make fast tracks a few time as these storms would appear out of nowhere when they came over the mountain top. All in all in this trip went pretty smooth and even the hotel where the reviews stated it was left stuck in time was pretty ok for a few guys going on a fishing trip. Looking forward for another trip to that region although it will probably not be this year.
  11. Had the honor to once again mess about with the sluice gates of the mill to get rid of some accumulated debris from the flooding. Amazing how much power the water has even though the gate was just lifted a little. Next job was to remove the stranded pallets in the mill pool, I discovered my el cheapo waders are not watertight anymore... The time left was spend with fishing and with a mix of small dace, a gudgeon and some decent trout I was pretty content. It was another glass day ... what a joy to fish with the Bloke build.
  12. Reel is an Ari T Hart AR reel, the maker of this reel lives nearby were I am at. One of my friends had this reel for sale for a friendly price so I could not let the opportunity pass.
  13. It was not so long after the flash flooding at my fishing spot and the water was still very murky. As usual the banks of the river were slippery as hell as the deposited mud had the consistency of grease … My descent from the bank to the waters edge was rather uncontrolled and ungraceful. Grey skies and drizzle dampened the mood somewhat but despite the murky water a very decent dace decided to take the nymph … amazing. Today was the first test of the recently purchased Bloke glass rod build and oh what a joy it was to cast and catch fish with that rod. I got everything from Dace over Roach (or a hybrid) to a very decent trout and the rod handled all situations exceptionally well. The skies got friendly at the end of the day and even the sun appeared. My stopover at the pub was well deserved and I ended the day making a visit up on the hill to gaze over the land below and thinking about what a great day it was.
  14. Krombacher Weizen Dunkel (dark wheat beer) ... standard fare for me ... Krombacher Keller Bier (cellar beer) new in the assortment ... had a taste of it ... it passed Spargelsuppe - Cream of asparagus soup Camenbertburger ... burger with French Camenbert cheese / Onions / Fig mustard (aquired taste ... ) with side order of french fries or alternatively baked potatoes Erdbeerkuchen - Strawberry cake with cream (on a yoghurt base) Kaffee - Coffee
  15. Another hot day and as those hordes of fish in the stagnant water above the mill haunted me I tried for them this morning again. Unlike yesterday the fish were not stacked up on top as the day before ... it took a while before I spotted them. The fish where not cooperative ... whatever fly I used it was in vain. Carp where spawning and making a lot of racket, they ploughed through the schools of shiner scattering the fish in every direction. Further upstream some dace where moving in the surface and were willing to take a sedge. The heat and humidity were unbareble so I headed for some sheltered spots in the forest but even there nothing was biting. A break at the pub seemed like a good idea. The afternoon session was cut short after the skies darkened and an eerie wind started to pick up. A weather warning was issued for areas to the south predicting thunderstorms and hail ... I did not wait for that to happen and left early.